'American Idol' on the Charts: Paul McDonald and Nikki Reed (Still) Make Beautiful Music Together
The season 10 alum is separated from actress but the pair continue to record new tunes. Also: Danny Gokey makes his first appearance on the Adult Contemporary tally.
'FALLING' RISING: Paul McDonald met actress Nikki Reed at a movie premiere while he was competing on season 10 of American Idol. They fell in love and were married on Oct. 16, 2011. A little over a year later they released an EP of duets, The Best Part, which peaked at No. 28 on Billboard’s Heatseekers chart and No. 25 on Top Folk Albums. In the last quarter of 2012, the husband and wife recorded "All I've Ever Needed" for the soundtrack to The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (Reed portrayed the vampire Rosalie Hale in the series) and the album topped a couple of Billboard charts.
Now the couple is separated and Reed has filed for divorce, but they are still making music together. Their 11-track album, I'm Not Falling, features songs recorded in October 2012 and December 2013.
This week, Falling debuts on four Billboard charts. The set is a new entry at No. 11 on Heatseekers as well as Top Folk Albums, while bowing at No. 48 on Top Independent Albums and No. 177 on Top Current Albums.
NEW TERRITORY: Danny Gokey makes his first appearance on the Adult Contemporary chart, as his single "Hope in Front of Me" opens at No. 29, crossing over from the Christian charts.
"Hope" continues to rise on those Christian tallies, jumping from 15 to 12 on Christian Adult Contemporary, 16 to 11 on Christian Airplay and 10 to 7 on Hot Christian Songs, On that last survey, "Hope" is granted "Greatest Gainer" status, for the biggest increase in airplay of any song on the chart.
BITS AND PIECES: Danny Gokey isn't the only Idol earning "Greatest Gainer" honors. Scotty McCreery's "Feelin' It" wins that acclaim on Hot Country Songs, rising from 42 to 34 with the biggest gain in streaming of any song on this chart. The single is also up 38 to 35 on Hot Country Airplay. The parent album, See You Tonight, rebounds 42 to 40 on Top Country Albums … Idol judge Keith Urban is another Greatest Gainer honoree this week, as his album Fuse surges 28 to 20 on Top Country Album, with the biggest sales again of any charting title … Phillip Phillips' "Raging Fire" holds at No. 15 on Adult Contemporary Audience … Daughtry's "Battleships" is on the move, from 40 to 39 on Adult Top 40 Audience … Colton Dixon's "More of You" moves up from 30 to 28 on Christian AC and 13 to 11 on Christian Hot AC, while holding at No. 26 on Christian Airplay … The Miranda Lambert/Carrie Underwood duet, "Somethin' Bad," rings up an increase from 24 to 19 on the Ringtones chart and is up two rungs, from 58 to 56, on the Canadian Hot 100 … The latest Jennifer Lopez single, "First Love," debuts at No. 29 on Hot Dance Club Play.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Almost Everything And Nothing Has Changed In First 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer
- Watch A 'Too Stoned' Miley Cyrus Serenade Bill Murray At The Kennedy Center
- Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow's Kids Show Off Their Singing Chops At Charity Event
- Olivia Wilde Spends Time With Her 'Drinking Buddy' In Breastfeeding Selfie
- Elijah Wood's DJ Name Is Not DJ Frodo, Which Is a Wild Misunderstanding of His Own Brand and DJs
- Samantha Bee, President of the Nasty Woman Club, Says ‘Hell, Yes’ to Hillary Clinton Schooling Trump on Abortion
- The Walking Dead Season-7 Premiere Is Likely the Most-Watched Episode of the Series Ever
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan on The Walking Dead Premiere: ‘It Was Just So F***ing Heavy’
- Justin Timberlake Gives Funny Response When Asked About Expanding His Family with Jessica Biel
- Tom Hanks Perfectly Remembers His Rap from 'Big' - Watch Now!
- The 'Pretty Little Liars' Stun at Elle Women in Hollywood Awards
- Marion Cotillard Poses in Christian Dior's Childhood Garden for New Lady Dior Campaign!