'American Idol' on the Charts: Phillip Phillips, Carrie Underwood Resurgent in the New Year
"Home" and "Blown Away" benefit in post-Christmas bump. Also: Kelly Clarkson's "Catch My Breath" breaks through to Top 10.
'HOME' FOR THE HOLIDAYS: With dozens of holiday songs plunging or dropping off the Billboard charts completely, singles that were hits before the holiday rush are resurging, especially Phillip Phillips’ “Home” and Carrie Underwood’s “Blown Away.” The former regains its Adult Contemporary glory with a 17-6 rebound while the latter reverses course and jumps 11-4 on Hot Country Songs, almost matching its peak position of No. 2.
“Home” holds at No. 2 on the Hot Rock Songs chart, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. The song makes the greatest gain in digital sales and airplay of any track on the chart. “Home” is also No. 2 on the Rock Digital Songs list, which only measures sales, and on the Triple A (Adult Album Alternative) tally, where it is a former No. 1. On the Hot 100, “Home” stays the course at No. 9 with a bullet, just two rungs lower than its peak position of No 7. And on the Hot 100 Airplay chart, which only measures radio spins, “Home” is up 8-6.
“Blown Away” had a great sales week, which explains its 50-35 leap on Hot Digital Songs and its 7-4 jump on Country Digital Songs. The parent album of the same name also rebounds, with a 6-3 move on Top Country Albums.
Another beneficiary of the post-Christmas chart week is Jason Castro. His current single, “Only a Mountain,” was pushed off the Christian Adult Contemporary song by the large number of holiday-related tunes. This week, “Mountain” is back, re-entering at a lofty No. 13. On the same chart, and for the same reason, Colton Dixon’s “You Are” returns at No. 20. On the Christian Songs chart, “You Are” advances 39-29. Over on Hot Country Songs, “Don’t Rush” by Kelly Clarkson featuring Vince Gill re-enters at No. 47.
EVERYTHING’S COMING UP CARRIE: The comeback of “Blown Away” is just one part of Underwood’s great week on the charts. Some of her earlier hits -- going back eight years -- also make big moves on the charts dated Jan. 12. “Good Girl,” the first single from the Blown Away album, makes an amazing 49-15 leap on Country Digital Songs. Her longest-charting pop hit, “Before He Cheats,” which first appeared on a Billboard survey in 2006, re-enters that same chart, at No. 37.
On the Christian Digital Songs chart, the 2005 release, “Jesus, Take The Wheel,” soars 20-6, almost equaling the single’s No. 4 peak on the chart dated March 4, 2006. Also relocating on that chart is “Temporary Home,” a single that charted in 2009-10. The “Temporary” track races 37-14.
And defying the trend of falling Christmas songs, Underwood’s “Do You Hear What I Hear” makes a big noise on the Holiday Airplay chart, with a leap of 46-22.
BITS AND PIECES: While Phillip Phillips’ “Home” goes from strength to strength, the follow-up single is gaining steam. “Gone, Gone, Gone” goes 37-28 with a bullet on the Hot Rock Songs chart… Casey James’ “Crying on a Suitcase” has made it onto the Hot 100. The single debuted last week at No. 100 and this week takes a 10-point jump to No. 90. The track is selling well; it rises 36-31 on Country Digital Songs… "Battle Scars" by Lupe Fiasco and Australian Idol Guy Sebastian continues its upward march, with a bulleted 34-30 climb on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. Down under, “Battle Scars” resurges 27-11 in its 20th week on the Australian Singles chart and is now certified 7x platinum, one of only 10 singles in the history of the Australian charts to sell that many copies… Lauren Alaina’s Wildflower re-enters Top Country Albums at No. 71… Kelly Clarkson’s "Catch My Breath" breaks into the top 10 of the Hot Dance Club Play chart, with a bold move of 15-9.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'Between Two Ferns' Will 'Never Do One With Trump, Just On Principle'
- 'Hairspray Live!’ Director Hopes The Musical Will Bring Peace And Love
- Trump Once Pitched A Show Called 'Donald Trump Presents The Most Beautiful Women In The World'
- Google and Amazon Leverage Copyright Loophole to Use Songs Without Paying Songwriters
- Casey Wilson And June Diane Raphael Are Making Unhinged Comedy for Hulu, So Pull Yourself Together — This Is Good News!
- Leslie Jones Flirts with Tom Hanks in This Week's Saturday Night Live Promo
- Theater Review: The Big Chill That Is Love, Love, Love
- Selma Blair Explains the Incident in Which she was Removed From an Airplane on a Stretcher
- Hillary Clinton Calls Out Donald Trump for 'Celebrity Apprentice' & Rigged Emmys Claim During Presidential Debate
- Chelsea Clinton & Ivanka Trump Attend Final Presidential Debate
- Hollywood Reacts to Donald Trump's 'Bad Hombres' Comment
- Bill Clinton & Melania Trump Avoid Each Other at Final Presidential Debate, Clintons Fear Another Trump 'Stunt'