'American Idol' on the Charts: Phillip Phillips' 'Gone, Gone, Gone' Tops Sixth Tally
For a third consecutive week, the franchise reaps more No. 1s, increasing its total to 405.
OUT IN FRONT: For the third week in a row, the grand total of Billboard No. 1s achieved by American Idol contestants increases. This week, new chart-toppers by Phillip Phillips and Mandisa up the figure to 405.
Phillips’ second single from The World from the Side of the Moon, “Gone, Gone, Gone,” spends a third week at No. 1 on the Adult Contemporary chart, and moves into pole position on the Adult Top 40 Recurrents tally. That gives the season 10 champ his 18th No. 1 on the Billboard charts. “Gone, Gone, Gone” has now topped six different charts. The song is also doing well on other surveys -- it rebounds from 9 to 8 on Rock Digital Songs and holds at No. 5 on Rock Songs.
Phillips is currently charting with three different singles. On Rock Digital Songs, “Home” stands pat at No. 18, in its 69th week on this list. On Triple A, the new single “Where We Came From” slides from 23 to 25, but earns a bullet for increased airplay over last week.
Mandisa adds to her count of No. 1s, too, as her latest single, “Overcomer,” claims the lead on the Christian Songs chart. This is the season five alum’s second chart-topper on Christian Songs. Two years ago, “Stronger” ruled for one week. That means if “Overcomer” is No. 1 again next week, it will be Mandisa’s biggest hit on Christian Songs.
“Overcomer” continues its reign on two other charts -- Christian Digital Songs and Christian/Gospel Digital Songs. The single is No. 1 for the 10th week on both of those tallies.
Mandisa now has 20 Billboard No. 1s. Here is an updated list of the top 10 Idols with the most chart-toppers:
Kelly Clarkson 86
Carrie Underwood 68
Chris Daughtry (Daughtry) 39
Phillip Phillips 18
Ruben Studdard 16
Jennifer Hudson 15
Clay Aiken 12
Adam Lambert 10
Scotty McCreery 10
It’s interesting to note that five of the top 10 were not winners of American Idol, but that hasn’t stopped them from racking up the No. 1s.
BITS AND PIECES: Scotty McCreery’s “See You Tonight” re-enters the Country Digital Songs chart at No. 48… Carrie Underwood’s Blown Away found new strength this week, re-surging on The Billboard 200 (101 to 93) as well as Top Country Albums (20 to 15)… On Hot Country Songs, Kelly Clarkson’s “Tie It Up” is up from 42 to 41.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Get Ready for Big, Bad Negan With This Walking Dead Prologue Teaser
- Jeremy Clarkson Did an Ad for Amazon Prime Drones, Probably Made Oodles of Money from It
- Jack White Celebrated Thanksgiving by Opening a Third Man Records Store in Detroit
- A Taylor Swift Fan Got to Meet Her Idol Before Losing Her Hearing
- Celebrities React to Suspenseful Patriots vs. Broncos Sunday Night Football Game - Read the Tweets!
- Anne Hathaway Keeps Her Baby Bump Covered Up
- Kristin Cavallari Shares First Photo of Her Daughter Saylor with Quarterback Jay Cutler!
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6 Sneak Peek Teases Negan's Story Line - Watch Now!