'American Idol's' Colton Dixon: Obscenity-Free and Proud of It
How does the 20-year-old Murfreesboro, Tennessee native handle the Hollywood crowd, for whom cursing is practically mandated? THR asked and the answer may surprise you.
Something we’ve learned after many years of covering American Idol is that not every twentysomething has the mouth of a sailor. Sure, those of us who live on “the coasts” are practically immune to the constant stream of obscenities thrown our way casually, but some, like season 10 winner Scotty McCreery, season 4’s Carrie Underwood or this year’s Colton Dixon and Skylar Laine refrain from cursing altogether. How do they do it? And why?
“My parents raised me that way,” Colton, a native of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, tells The Hollywood Reporter. “It doesn’t necessarily bother me, but I don’t curse at all and I take pride in it. It’s just another way that I can set an example for people.” Now, it’s not like he never uttered a cuss word. “I was little and when the first curse word left my mouth, I was shocked to hear it,” Colton recalls, squirming at the memory.
Skylar, who hails from Brandon Mississippi, had a similar experience. “I wouldn’t say that I’ve never cursed before, but I try not to,” she says. “I’m from a southern family, and we don’t talk like that.”
So how the hel -- er, heck -- do they deal with the dozens of potty-mouthed city folk they’re constantly surrounded with? Surprisingly, says Colton, “When people notice that you don’t cuss, they’ll refrain out of respect -- that’s really cool to see.” Now there's a shocker.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Amy Schumer Shows World Just How Hard It Is To Get Out Of A Pool Float
- Obama 'Singing' Rihanna's 'Work' Is Keeping America Great
- The New Roots Revisits America's Worst Institution, and Reminds Us That Bullies Aren't So Great, Either
- The Subtle Ways Mindy Kaling Pranked B.J. Novak On 'The Office' Set
- Who Ya Gonna Call For Praise of the Ghostbusters Reboot? Dan Aykroyd!
- Dwayne Johnson Cast as Doc Savage, Who is Basically if Indiana Jones and The Rock Had a Baby, Though Sadly That Will Probably Not Be His Origin Story
- Maybe Think Twice About Filming Adele at Her Concert, Because She Will Call You Out, and Things Will Get Awkward
- Here's What Kanye's Yeezus Vinyl Would've Looked Like