'American Idol's' Colton Dixon: Obscenity-Free and Proud of It
How does the 20-year-old Murfreesboro, Tennessee native handle the Hollywood crowd, for whom cursing is practically mandated? THR asked and the answer may surprise you.
Something we’ve learned after many years of covering American Idol is that not every twentysomething has the mouth of a sailor. Sure, those of us who live on “the coasts” are practically immune to the constant stream of obscenities thrown our way casually, but some, like season 10 winner Scotty McCreery, season 4’s Carrie Underwood or this year’s Colton Dixon and Skylar Laine refrain from cursing altogether. How do they do it? And why?
“My parents raised me that way,” Colton, a native of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, tells The Hollywood Reporter. “It doesn’t necessarily bother me, but I don’t curse at all and I take pride in it. It’s just another way that I can set an example for people.” Now, it’s not like he never uttered a cuss word. “I was little and when the first curse word left my mouth, I was shocked to hear it,” Colton recalls, squirming at the memory.
Skylar, who hails from Brandon Mississippi, had a similar experience. “I wouldn’t say that I’ve never cursed before, but I try not to,” she says. “I’m from a southern family, and we don’t talk like that.”
So how the hel -- er, heck -- do they deal with the dozens of potty-mouthed city folk they’re constantly surrounded with? Surprisingly, says Colton, “When people notice that you don’t cuss, they’ll refrain out of respect -- that’s really cool to see.” Now there's a shocker.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- The 8 Stages of a TV Couple, From ‘Will-They-Won’t-They’ to ‘OMG, They Did’
- All the Tear-jerking Moments From the 2016 Global Citizen Festival
- MTV Brings Back TRL As Total Registration Live for a National Voter Registration Day Special
- Why It’s a Big Deal That Actors Can Now Get Their Ages Removed From IMDb
- Charlie Weber Steps Out of Hiding After Debuting Shaved Head
- Taylor Lautner Admits Britney Spears Tried to Set Him Up with Sister Jamie Lynn!
- Alexander Skarsgard Suits Up For 'War On Everyone' Zurich Film Fest Premeire!
- Alicia Vikander Says She & Michael Fassbender Have 'Never Hidden' Their Relationship