'American Idol's' Colton Dixon to Perform Original Song on Summer Tour
Winners aside, the season 11 finalist is only the second Idol allowed to sing a non-cover during the concert. "Never Gone" will debut when the trek kicks off in Detroit on July 6.
When Colton Dixon teased his faithful “Messengers” via Twitter that he had “big news” about the American Idol tour, he wasn’t exaggerating.
Dixon, who finished seventh on season 11, will be the only Idol finalist to perform an original composition, “Never Gone,” on the Top 10's summer trek, which kicks off in Detroit this Friday.
Dixon joins an elite group of two who were given the opportunity to perform a non-cover for the faithful Idol audience -- Season 10’s Pia Toscano was the other exception to the rule.
“I honestly don't know why I was allowed to do an original song on tour,” he told Yahoo's Reality Rocks blog. “I'm just so appreciative to have people believe in my music enough to give me this opportunity, and I'm stoked to be able to give my fans a glimpse of what I have been working so hard on in the studio.”
The faith-based track, which Dixon said is a reassurance that God will always be there in times of need, was co-written with Adam Watts and Andy Dodd (Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato, Switchfoot, Jesse McCartney, Miley Cyrus) and Gannin Arnold (Red Decibel Productions) and features Dixon on piano.
"This song is about how we sometimes we need a reminder for why we do what we do or in this case who we are living for," he said. “As a kid, you get scared of the dark and turn the lights on to make sure everything is okay. Same goes for God. I want to make sure that He's there, and He always replies with 'I never left.'"
Watch Dixon rehearse "Never Gone" below:
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Scottie Pippen Files For Divorce From Wife Larsa Pippen After 19 Years
- Kim Kardashian Says She 'Can Handle' Lack Of Privacy In Chilling Interview Taped Before Robbery
- This Halloween, Don’t Be THAT Person With The Frighteningly Offensive Costume
- Kate McKinnon's 'Ghostbusters' Bloopers Prove She's An American Hero
- This Is What a $30,000 Cosplay Outfit Looks Like
- Every Episode of Black Mirror, Ranked From Worst to Best
- The High Maintenance Creators on Their First HBO Season, Interrogating Their Fans, and Why ‘The Guy’ Is Less Chill These Days
- Anne Hathaway Truthers Rejoice: She Admits She Faked Her Way Through That Oscar Acceptance Speech