'American Idol' David Cook Covers Bruce Springsteen at New Jersey Tour Stop (Video)
The season seven winner paid homage to The Boss in his hometown of Freehold with a rendition of "Secret Garden."
American Idol season seven winner David Cook paid homage to Bruce Springsteen in the legendary rocker's hometown of Freehold, New Jersey on Sunday night.
Performing at iPlayAmerica, Cook delivered a quiet and moving version of the romantic ballad, “Secret Garden,” from the movie Jerry McGuire.
Although the 30-year-old rocker admitted he was “nervous” to perform a song by The Boss, he told The Hollywood Reporter after the tribute that he was happy the band was “able to pull it off."
Said Cook: “We knew we were coming here to Freehold and this is as firm a Springsteen territory as there is, [so] we decided to take on the challenge. The song we chose, 'Secret Garden,' just seemed to fit us vibe-wise.”
The song held special significance to Cook, he added, as it reminded him of his late brother, Adam. “My dad had this Best of Springsteen tape, and that song used to pop up when we were going to see Adam,” he said.
The cover was not only a hit with the hometown crowd, but with Maureen Van Zandt, wife of E Street Band member Steven Van Zandt, who was in attendance and later tweeted, “Our friend @thedavidcook with a beautiful version of Bruce's song in Bruce's hometown."
Watch some of the performance below:
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Please Let’s Fantasy Cast This Upcoming Siegfried and Roy Biopic All Day and Every Which Way
- John Oliver Warns Americans That Something As Terrible As the Brexit Really Could Happen Here
- Every Game of Thrones Episode, Ranked From Worst to Best
- Rihanna’s ‘Sledgehammer’ Debuts on the Latest Star Trek Beyond Trailer, Because in Space, Everyone Can Hear You Croon
- Chris Martin's Kids Apple & Moses Perform with Coldplay at Glastonbury Show!
- Katharine McPhee Was 'Completely Floored' the First Time She Heard The Voice's Jordan Smith Sing
- Rihanna: 'Sledgehammer' Stream, Download, & Lyrics - LISTEN NOW!
- Justin Timberlake Praises Jesse Williams' BET Speech, Apologizes After Backlash