'American Idol's' Final 3: Performance Night Songs Revealed
The remaining contenders will take on songs by John Lennon, Aerosmith, Mariah Carey and Bob Seger.
Tonight is the most important performance night show for the remaining top three American Idol hopefuls, and musical director Ray Chew continues a Wednesday afternoon tradition by revealing the leaked song list.
On the menu for Idol's pentultimate performance episode are songs selected by the judges, Interscope Executive Jimmy Iovine, and the Idol's themselves. The list is impressive, with several degrees of difficulty, as the final three are challenged with selections by Mariah Carey, the Jackson 5, Aerosmith, John Lennon, and season 11 mentor, Mary J. Blige.
It will be interesting to see who is tasked with the unenviable job of performing “I Don’t Want to Miss A Thing” in front of the man who slayed it on record -- judge Steven Tyler -- especially since Aerosmith will appear on next week’s finale.
Additionally, Carey’s “My All” seems like a perfect fit for Idol’s resident dream girl, Jessica Sanchez. (We wonder if Carey's ex-husband and current Sanchez fan Tommy Motolla influenced that pick?) The Jackson 5's iconic ballad "I'll Be There" -- also covered by Carey -- is on the list, as well. Performing this would be a no-brainer for Sanchez, as it has youthful appeal, plus those big notes and vocal runs that the teen can do in her sleep.
It is exciting to see the hip-hop artist Madcon, and their version of “Beggin’,” also featured on the list. The song has early roots, originally sung by The Four Seasons in 1967, and is smooth with an intense groove. It could be easily handled by Phillip Phillips.
Speaking of sexy songs, will Phillips be the one to seduce the audience with Bob Seger's pleading "We've Got Tonight"? We can only hope.
Then there's the man who could sing the phone book, Joshua Ledet. Can’t you picture him taking the audience to the heavens with Blige’s “No More Drama,” complete with a choir? Ditto for Lennon's secular "Imagine." It's easy, if you try.
Who will do what, Worshippers? Here is the list:
Jackson 5 “I’ll Be There”
Matchbox 20 “Disease”
Etta James “I’d Rather Go Blind”
Bob Seger “We’ve Got Tonight”
Mariah Carey “My All”
Aerosmith “I Don’t Want to Miss A Thing”
John Lennon “Imagine”
Mary J. Blige “No More Drama”
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!
- Britney Spears Details 'Sh-tty' Day in Video After Her Breakup