'American Idol' Finale: 'Boy, It Is Close,' Says Harry Connick Jr.
"It's so cool that it came down to those two," the season 13 judge told reporters of finalists Caleb Johnson and Jena Irene.
Now that the final performance show of American Idol's season 13 is in the history books, it's time for the cast to party onstage for the finale -- and that includes the judges.
Tuesday night’s star-studded finale included a rollicking performance courtesy of Harry Connick Jr., Jennifer Lopez and Keith Urban showing their “True Colors” -- a nod to Cyndi Lauper -- and rocking out to Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way.” So, who picked the songs?
“I know Jen chose 'True Colors,' Connick told reporters after the show. “I’m not sure who chose the Fleetwood Mac tune. I think Rickey [Minor] may have picked it.”
Connick said being up onstage with his two co-stars was "great ... after talking about performances for so many months. The only frustrating thing is we didn’t get to do more of it. It was a blast.”
As for the top two, Connick tried comparing finalists Caleb Johnson and Jena Irene to boxers Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali. Johnson is the “power puncher,” said Connick of the 23-year-old North Carolina belter. “He just came out hitting hard."
Irene, he said, floats “like a butterfly, stings like a bee. ... It’s like a boxer vs. a puncher -- it really is,” he said. “It’s so cool that it came down to those two and I think it’s a matter of preference, really. It’s not a matter of who did better. It’s who do you like more and who is going to vote for their favorite because, boy, it is close, I would imagine.”
After the season ends on Wednesday night, Connick said he will miss the close bond he formed with Urban and Lopez. “I really enjoyed spending time with Jen and Keith, of course Randy [Jackson] and Ryan [Seacrest], as well. I really do spend the most time with Jen and Keith, and we just have a great time together, and I think we all respect each other’s perspective,” he said. “We care for these people that are on the stage that are pouring their hearts out week after week. I think the camaraderie and the friendship with them are what I am going to miss the most.”
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'The Theory of Everything' Shines a Light on Stephen Hawking's Love Life
- Robert Rodriguez's Inspiring Speech Will Make You Proud To Be American
- Victoria Justice On Dealing With Cyberbullying, Fashion Inspiration And Her Advice To Teens
- James Franco's New Film 'Kink' Explores BDSM Community, Lifestyle
- Lena Dunham Felt So Much Joy Watching Andrew Rannells in 'Hedwig & the Angry Inch'
- Chris Martin Wears Fat Suit in Coldplay's 'True Love' Music Video - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Swings By Kari Feinstein's Style Lounge Ahead of Emmys 2014
- New 'Gotham' Trailer Gives Viewers a Grim & Exciting View of What's to Come!