'American Idol' Finalist Angie Miller Lands Publishing Deal
Universal Music Publishing Group signs the season 12 top-three finalist, who recently released her first single, "You Set Me Free" -- a song she wrote.
American Idol finalist Angie Miller proved her songwriting chops on season 12 of the Fox show when she performed an original number, "You Set Me Free" and captured the judges' -- and America's -- hearts. Now a major publishing company is showing it's willing to bet on future music from the Beverly, Mass. native.
Universal Music Publishing Group has signed Miller to an exclusive co-publishing deal, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed, giving the company a stake in current and future compositions by the third-place finalist. UMPG will also handle administration of her work.
Under the terms of a co-publishing agreement, the writer typically transfers a portion of the copyright and retains the remaining percentage for his or her own publishing company, according to independent A&R service TAXI. In addition, the songwriter receives not just the standard 50 percent share of earnings, but also a portion of the other half that's normally allotted to the music publisher. There is also the possibility of an advance, although in the case of Idols, it's more likely folded into the finalists' 360 deals.
In essence, it means Angie Miller Music will likely have a whole lot of income to report on its 2013 corporate tax returns, particularly if power ballad "You Set Me Free," which was officially released as a single via 19 Recordings on May 17, becomes a hit. (Listen to the studio version here.)
No word yet on a recording contract for Miller, although in recent interviews, the 19-year-old has hinted that she's close to securing a deal.
Since season 10, American Idol has partnered with Universal Music and its Interscope-affiliated labels to release music by show alums, including albums from Scotty McCreery, Lauren Alaina, Jessica Sanchez and Phillip Phillips, among others.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Music and Sweets: A Perfect Combo for a Late Night Bakery
- A Labor Day Documentary: 'Brothers on the Line' Tells the Story of the Reuther Brothers -- Founding Fathers of the American Middle Class
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leak Online, Other Celebs Targeted
- Todd English Arrested, Charged With DWI
- Paul Wesley & Phoebe Tonkin Get Cuddly at U.S. Open 2014
- Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, & Austin Butler Get in a Group Workout!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Fly Out of Venice After Attending Film Festival Together
- Jenny McCarthy's Wedding Dress Revealed! See Photos of Her & Donnie Wahlberg At Their Wedding