'American Idol' Finalist Sam Woolf Rejects 'Heartthrob' Status: 'It's Weird'
The 18-year-old talks cupcakes and new roommates after Wednesday’s performance show.
Sam Woolf has no interest in being an American Idol's eye candy.
Wednesday’s broadcast kicked off with new nicknames for each of the six remaining contestants. To name names: “The Hard Rocker” (Caleb Johnson), “The Rebel” (Jessica Meuse), “The Roots Rocker” (CJ Harris), “The Troubadour” (Alex Preston), “The Wildcard” (Jena Irene) and “The Heartthrob” (Woolf).
In his first Idol appearance since celebrating his 18th birthday, Woolf delivered two strong performances on “Country and Rock ’n’ Roll” night (Imagine Dragons’ “It’s Time” and Shania Twain’s country classic, “Still The One”). But after the show, Woolf was less than thrilled with his new label.
‘I just don’t think I was placed under that category before this competition, so I don’t think I should be placed under it now,” he told reporters of the heartthrob title. “It’s weird.”
Weirdness aside, the fan favorite is happy to be flying solo after turning 18. His grandparents have since returned home and Dexter Roberts’ former roommate Harris has moved in. “He’s awesome,” Woolf says of his new roomie.
So how did Woolf ring in his big day? “Cupcakes,” he says (vanilla is his favorite) and a special gift via snail mail. “A fan sent me a hat,” he revealed. “Someone gave me a hat in the mail.”
But Woolf got a belated birthday surprise on Wednesday (coincidentally, Johnson’s birthday) when he crossed paths with David Gray in the Idols’ Hollywood hotel. “It made my day 10 times better,” Woolf gushed. “I flipped out. He was eating breakfast, I was walking out and I said ‘hi’ to him. I was starstruck.”
No wonder -- Woolf previously sang Gray’s “Babylon” and “Sail Away” during the show’s Top 31 and Top 7, respectively.
For more on Wednesday’s performances (plus a Grumpy Cat appearance!), click over to THR’s complete recap.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Baby Groot Gets In On The Action In First 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Sequel Teaser
- In The Eerie 'Always Shine' Trailer, Actresses' Resentment Becomes Psychological Turmoil
- Michael Fassbender Hangs Up His ‘X-Men’ Suit To Play A Regular Guy
- New Tolkien Book Will Tell The Sweetest, Most Middle Earth Love Story Of All Time
- Chicago Is Getting Its Own #Ham4Ham Hamilton Lottery, and Lin-Manuel Miranda Just Might Be Crashing It Today
- Do You Think Val Kilmer Even Knows He’s in Oneohtrix Point Never’s ‘Animals’ Music Video?
- Baby Groot Returns in the First Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Teaser
- Rebecca and Josh Should Definitely Not Have Sex in This New Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Song