'American Idol' Mentor Jimmy Iovine Denies Pitching Reality Show
The Interscope chief -- who guided contestants on the Fox show's 10th season -- tells THR that reports he wants to headline a reality series of his own are "nuts."
Last year American Idol, shaking things up for its Simon Cowell-less 10th season, recruited Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez to judge alongside series stalwart Randy Jackson.
The show also brought in Jimmy Iovine, chairman of Interscope-Geffen-A&M, to mentor contestants including eventual winner and instant country star, Scotty McCreery.
The New York Post's Page Six column reported Monday that Iovine -- who offered McCreery and company a mix of real-world and fatherly advice for music stardom -- is pitching employees at his label an idea that would focus on him being a "kingmaker" for would-be pop stars.
That's news to Iovine, who told THR: "I couldn't do a show, I have about as much talent to do television as you know ... it's not what I do. I wouldn't know where to begin. [The New York Post story] it's so crazy. It's nuts."
Although his rep denied the report, a source is cited as telling the newspaper that he wants to branch out further into the TV and movie business, and "thinks he is more credible than the judges on the shows on air right now."
Iovine does not lack for experience in the rising-star department, having helped launch the careers of Eminem and Lady Gaga; the music-industry veteran began as an engineer for John Lennon, started Interscope in 1991 and later delved into film as co-producer of Eminem's 8 Mile and 50 Cent's Get Rich or Die Tryin.'
As for Idol, now in audition phase of season 11, Iovine said he's on board when the latest round of finalists are announced in the coming weeks.
"I think the people at Idol really want to use my segment to help push the show along. We are going to do some cool stuff this year."
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet