'American Idol's' Jimmy Iovine on Jessica Sanchez’s Coronation Song: 'It Did Bomb, Didn't It?'
The music industry veteran and "Idol" in-house mentor also revealed plans for Phillip Phillips' debut album and his own potential judge-ship.
American Idol’s in-house mentor Jimmy Iovine addressed reporters minutes after Phillip Phillips was named winner of season 11.
“Phillip had that country base and that young-girl thing going on, that’s hitting the button lots of times,” said the music industry veteran, who got his start as an engineer for the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks.
As The Hollywood Reporter previously reported, Iovine explained how Phillips’ coronation song “Home,” written by Drew Pearson, was chosen only days before the 21-year-old Georgia native performed it on the Idol stage.
As for Sanchez’s power ballad “Nothing Changes"? “It did bomb, didn’t it?” Iovine remarked. “The song didn’t work well live.” Sanchez had her choice of “three or four different songs,” he added. “We don’t force the kids to do anything.”
Iovine’s no-holds-barred commentary was one of the highlights of season 11 and has even prompted some to suggest that the chairman of Interscope Geffen A&M Records replace Jennifer Lopez. But Iovine pointed to his own blooper reel, telling reporters that he doesn’t do well in a live setting. “Being a judge is not for me,” he said.
Next on Iovine’s plate: Phillips’ debut album, which the music executive said will be helmed by one producer. “The hard part is to leave this behind you and make your first album.”
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- LeBron James Stars In Emotional 'Re-Established' Ad For $200 Beats Headphones
- Jason Derulo Takes His "Talk Dirty" Party On The Road
- Rudy Giuliani, George Pataki And 2 Congressmen Plan Protest Of 'The Death of Klinghoffer' At Metropolitan Opera
- Paul Craft Dead At 76: Nashville Songwriter Inducted Into Hall Of Fame
- Patrick Dempsey Describes His Audition For 'Grey's Anatomy' & His First Read with Ellen Pompeo!
- Engaged Couple Robbie Amell & Italia Ricci Make It An Italian Dinner Date
- Ariana Grande & Rita Ora Glam Up Radio 1's Teen Awards 2014
- Heidi Klum & Boyfriend Vito Schnabel Show PDA After Her Divorce Finalized