Former 'American Idol' Judge Kara DioGuardi Teaching College Course
The chart-topping songwriter and A&R executive is offering her expertise on hitmaking at Boston's Berklee College of Music this fall.
With a resume of over 50 chart topping hit singles to her name, students at Boston's Berklee College of Music could certainly learn a thing or two from their newest professor: former American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi.
DioGuardi, who judged Idol’s eighth and ninth seasons, has been teaching a class of 27 students the art of songwriting in her course, “Hit Songwriting,” which she developed specifically for the fall curriculum. The class pairs student songwriters and producers to mirror today’s music industry practices.
“I took a position at Berklee because I want to help educate and guide songwriters/artists in the early part of their careers,” said DioGuardi. “I love working with promising talent, and I aim to share my experiences with my students so as to better prepare them creatively and emotionally for an industry fraught with change and competition.”
The hitmaker, who has written songs for the likes of Katy Perry, Pink, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Gwen Stefani, Colbie Caillait and Rascal Flatts, hand-picked each of her students for the course.
Said Berklee president Roger H. Brown in announcing the curriculum: “What Kara is doing at Berklee is important because she is simulating the most popular songwriting model our students will encounter when they leave campus: working in small teams that combine writers and producers in real time.”
DioGuardi's creative prowess and business acumen has made her one of the respected and successful music industry lifers. Her company, Arthouse Entertainment, which has ownership in songs by the likes of Bruno Mars, Cee Lo Green, Katy Perry, Flo Rida, and Carrie Underwood, recently saw a sizable investment in its catalog by Round Hill Music. DioGuardi also serves as an A&R executive at Warner Bros. Records.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Marvin Gaye's Sister Zeola Sets The Record Straight On Reported Family Feud Over 'Blurred Lines' Lawsuit
- New Film Healing of Love Is Challenging the Paradigm of Relationships
- The Death of Fake Reality Television, The Birth of 'Connected'
- Morgan Spurlock, 'One Direction: This Is Us' Director: Zayn Malik 'Struggled The Most' With Touring Demands
- Pia Mia Seduces Us In 'F--k With U' Music Video - Watch Now!
- Jamie Chung Has a Condom Problem in 'Resident Advisors' Clip (Exclusive Video)
- Mark Wahlberg Producing Boston Marathon Bombing Movie 'Patriot's Day'
- Stephen Amell Signs Up to Play Megan Fox's Love Interest in 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2'