'American Idol' Lands New Low for a Winner's Debut Album
Candie Glover's debut album, "Music Speaks," premiered on the Billboard 200 at No. 14, selling 19,000 copies.
After a number of delays, Candice Glover's debut album, Music Speaks, has arrived on the Billboard 200 at No. 14. It's the 2013 American Idol winner's first album and sold 19,000 copies in its first week (ending Feb. 23), according to Nielsen SoundScan.
The album was initially slated to be released on July 16, 2013, but was pushed back to Oct. 8. By Sept. 30, the release was rescheduled for its final street date: Feb. 18. Glover was crowned the winner of Idol on May 16, 2013.
The album arrives rather late compared with those from previous Idol winners. Since the program's second season in 2003, all the Fox show's champions (except Glover) have released their first postshow album in the same calendar year as their Idol win.
Thus far, Glover has charted just once on Billboard's airplay charts, with "Cried." It peaked at No. 18 on the Adult R&B tally.
Of the 12 Idol winners' first postshow albums, Music Speaks ranks as the second-lowest debut (see chart, below). In terms of sales, it has the lowest start of them all, falling below Lee DeWyze's Live It Up debut with 39,000 copies.
History of American Idol Winners' First Albums on Billboard 200 Chart:
Artist - Title - Debut Position - Debut Sales - Year
- Kelly Clarkson - Thankful - No. 1 - 297,000* - 2003
- Ruben Studdard - Soulful - No. 1 - 417,000 - 2003
- Fantasia - Free Yourself - No. 8 - 240,000 - 2004
- Carrie Underwood - Some Hearts - No. 2 - 315,000 - 2005
- Taylor Hicks - Taylor Hicks - No. 2 - 298,000 - 2006
- Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks - No. 10 - 119,000 - 2007
- David Cook - David Cook - No. 3 - 280,000 - 2008
- Kris Allen - Kris Allen - No. 11 - 80,000 - 2009
- Lee DeWyze - Live It Up - No. 19 - 39,000 - 2010
- Scotty McCreery - Clear as Day - No. 1 - 197,000 - 2011
- Phillip Phillips - The World From the Side of the Moon - No. 4 - 169,000 - 2012
- Candice Glover - Music Speaks - No. 14 - 19,000 - 2014
This story first appeared on Billboard.com.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- See How Idris Elba Used Instagram, Wisdom to Respond to That Bond Critique
- Report: Nickelodeon Might Make Your Life and Bring Back Some of Your Favorite Childhood Classics
- Stephen Colbert, Jeb! Bush Get Into Intense VIP-Offer War
- Watch the Biebs Explain What the Deal Was With All Those VMA Emotions, Forgetfully Reveal His New Album’s Release Date