'American Idol' Launches New Ad Campaign Using Real Contestants (Exclusive Photos)
For the first time in the show's 13-season history, current competitors will be featured in marketing efforts leading up to its Jan. 15 premiere.
For the first time in American Idol history, the Fox show's marketing campaign will feature actual singers vying for a shot at stardom on the forthcoming season 13.
Eight contestants ranging in ages from 15 to 26 were photographed by Mathieu Young and Michael Becker in their respective hometowns. In each image, the vocalist offers a personal reason for why he or she is motivated to sing -- among them: to "inspire" or just "be heard." All of the contestants featured in the ad campaign will appear before judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. during the audition rounds of the show.
The campaign, created by the network's marketing design team, clearly refocuses on the hopefuls rather than the show's celebrity judges, a move applauded by the likes of season seven winner David Cook.
"When Idol was pulling in its biggest numbers, it was about the contestants," Cook recently told The Hollywood Reporter. "If you give the American public the opportunity … they are going to gravitate toward someone, and they are going to make sure that person has success. When that person has success, the show has success. I hope they can get some continuity on the judges panel and get back to what was the bread and butter of the show: the contestants."
American Idol debuts Jan. 15 on Fox.
See all eight of the ad campaign images here and below.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Ben & Lauren: Happily Ever After? Recap: The CHAD No One Asked For
- Watch Lady Gaga and James Corden Harmonize On All of Gaga's Greatest Hits on Carpool Karaoke
- No One Can Decide Whether This Is a Picture of Bill Murray or Tom Hanks
- Seth Meyers Moderates His Own Presidential Debate Where He Gets Answers to the Real Questions
- Kate Hudson Buddy's Up with Karlie Kloss & Kobe Bryant At WSJ.D LIVE After Dark!
- Miles Teller Makes It A Family Affair At Savannah Film Fest Vanguard Award Ceremony!
- Taylor Swift is 'Drowning in Tears' After Seeing Blake Lively's Party for Hubby Ryan Reynolds
- Kim Kardashian Joins Her Family at Kanye West's LA Concert