Nicki Minaj Says It Takes 'Guts,' 'Heart' to Compete on 'American Idol' (Video)
"It's very difficult to be picked apart," the rapper tells THR special correspondent and "Idol" alum Didi Benami. "That rejection thing is heavy." Plus: how Minaj is "truly showing herself" on new album "Roman Reloaded."
Moments after Nicki Minaj took the American Idol stage on Thursday -- and sassed judge Jennifer Lopez from yards away -- the rapper and pop star stopped to talk to THR special correspondent and Idol season 9 alum Didi Benami about television competition shows.
Asked if she was starting out today, would she try out for Idol, X Factor or The Voice, the "Super Bass" singer said matter-of-factly, "No, I wouldn't. It's very very difficult to be picked apart. I have to give it to the people that do these shows -- it takes a lot of heart, it takes guts, that rejection thing is heavy."
And since she was catapulted to fame on her own (with a big assist from Lil Wayne), how will she quantify success of her second studio album, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, which is scheduled for release on April 3?
Says Minaj: "I'm blessed to put out an album that is not one-dimensional. I'm not boxed in, the world has given me the opportunity to express myself in lots of different genres of music. ... I'm truly showing myself, as oppose to feeling I have to do this because someone says I have to do this. That's how I measure success."
Watch more of her interview with The Hollywood Reporter in the video above.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Saturday Night Live Recap: Melissa McCarthy is a Comedic Pick-Up Artist
- Deadpool Slaughters Superhero Tropes, Box Office Records, and Hearts on Valentine's Day Weekend
- Man, Justin Timberlake Sure Does the Carlton a Lot Now
- The Writers Guild of America Loves Mad Men and Mr. Robot, But Isn't About to Give You Clarity on the Oscars Race
- Watch Justin Timberlake Do 'The Carlton Dance' With Alfonso Ribeiro on The Golf Course!
- 'Deadpool' Smashes Box Office Records With $135 Million Gross Over Valentine's Day Weekend
- Alicia Vikander & Michael Fassbender Attend Pre-BAFTAs Dinner
- Jaime King Says Kanye West Rap About Taylor Swift 'Really Hurt'