'American Idol' Alum Paul McDonald to Premiere New Song on 'Parenthood' (Audio)
Season 10's indie rocker will also debut his acting chops on the NBC series Tuesday night.
Paul McDonald, the folk-rock finalist from American Idol's 10th season, will showcase a hidden talent -- acting -- as well as a new song when he makes his small-screen debut on the NBC series Parenthood Tuesday night.
McDonald, who told Yahoo Music News he will spend the next two months in Nashville recording tracks for his debut, post-Idol album, will perform a new song, the piano-based ballad, "Counting Stars," on the show.
The 28-year old musician from Huntsville, Alabama, said he'll reunite with some old friends for the album, notably "some folks from my old band, The Grand Magnolias."
"It will hopefully give it a cooler vibe," said the raspy-voiced singer. "Writing in L.A. was a much different approach than my norm, mostly drum sounds on computers and crazy programs -- which are cool, but I think I prefer the way it was done back in the day, with a bunch of dudes in a room playing music with real instruments. It's more fun that way, at least."
Although McDonald indicated the recording process will probably stretch through October, his wife, Twilight star Nikki Reed, proudly proclaimed on Twitter that the disc will be released by the end of the year. There is no word of a label, as of yet.
On Tuesday's new episode of Parenthood, McDonald portrays a musician who uses Crosby and Adam’s recording space, The Luncheonette. His character will reportedly catch the eye of the studio’s new assistant, Amber (Mae Whitman).
Listen to McDonald's track below. How do you like it, Idol Worshippers?
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Dillon Francis Calls Out DJMag.com 'Top 100 DJs'
- Russell Simmons Reveals Donald Trump Said 'Racist,' 'Anti-Semitic' Things To Him
- Salma Hayek Said Trump Planted A Story About Her In The National Enquirer After She Refused To Date Him
- Donald Glover Is Your New Lando Calrissian In Han Solo 'Star Wars' Spinoff
- The Rock and Will Ferrell are Tag-Teaming a Wrestling Pilot at Fox
- Chris Pine Joins A Wrinkle in Time; Ava DuVernay Settles the Question of the Best Superhero-Chris
- Donald Glover Is Your New Lando Calrissian in the Star Wars Han Solo Prequel
- RuPaul’s Drag Race’s Katya Has a Wild Story About a Time She Hooked Up With a Guy in Drag