'American Idol' Phillip Phillips Reacts to Pawn Shop Burglary; Police Zero in on Suspect
Authorities may be closer to getting their man, and the season 11 champ's father speaks on how the punishment should fit the crime.
Police authorities in Albany, Georgia, have identified a suspect in the burglary of American Idol champion Phillip Phillips' family business, Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn.
The perpetrator is described in the police report as being a 40- to 50-year-old non-Hispanic male, about 6 feet tall, and weighing about 225 lbs, according to Fox News. He has a black crew haircut, brown eyes, a medium brown complexion and medium build; he was last seen in a dark pullover shirt with khaki shorts.
Phillips, who was recuperating from a grueling six-hour kidney stone surgery at the time, was saddened by the news of the theft, according to his father, Donnie Phillips.
"He shook his head and said, 'Dang, Daddy I hate to hear that. ...Well, that's how some people in the world are,'" he said.
As was previously reported, thieves used a stolen Albany Water Gas & Light backhoe to bust inside the pawn shop at the Corner of Oglethorpe Blvd. and Thornton Drive early Tuesday morning, taking $4,000 worth of merchandise, including the cash register.
The Phillips family patriarch is still taking inventory of the stolen items, which includes several guns, fishing reels, television sets, necklaces, rings and antique coins. The family's famed stuffed turkey and autographed guitars, prominently featured throughout the Idol season, were untouched.
"They got a pile of jewelry, coins, guns, TVs, rod and reels. Just a lot of stuff," he told WALB in Albany.
He added that he is licensed to carry a gun and often sleeps inside the store, and if he were there someone might have gotten hurt.
"There ain't no telling what would have happened if I had been up here," said the elder Phillips. "[But] If they catch them, I hope I can get a check every month. I don't care if it's a dollar a month so it will remind that person or those persons to see what they've done and see what road they're going down."
The Phillips family was in California caring for the 21-year-old singer/songwriter at the time of the break-in. Phillips is expected to make a full recovery, and will join the American Idol tour on July 6.
Anyone with information about the break in is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 436-TIPS.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Before 'Game Of Thrones,' Pedro Pascal Was Getting His Ass Kicked On 'Buffy'
- Drew Barrymore Adds Fragrances To Flower Beauty Collection Making Us All Smell Better
- Guy Covers Every Single Part Of 'Prince Ali' From 'Aladdin'
- The Dumbest But Also Greatest Lyrics From Destiny's Child's 'Writings On The Wall'
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Why Are Movies the Only Kind of Entertainment We Still Have to Wait Around For?
- 7 Times Vin Diesel Gave a Wooden Performance (Before He Played a Tree in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Chris Messina Is a Huge Cheater in This New Sam Smith Video
- Cate Blanchett Desperately Wanted to Play a Dwarf & Wear a Beard
- Katy Perry Sang for the President & First Lady Last Night at the White House!
- Kerry Washington & Jimmy Kimmel Bond Over Their Newborn Baby Girls!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Opens Huge, Scores Biggest Thursday Evening Opening of the Year!