'American Idol's' Randy Jackson on the Show's Future, Softer Ratings and Crazy Hollywood Auditions
"The space of singing shows is definitely a little crowded now," said the judge of the show, which is now in its 11th season.
American Idol judge Randy Jackson admits that ratings for the singing competition show aren’t as high as they once were, but he still believe in the show.
"Idol’s in its 11th season, it's still the number one show on television, not by the huge margins it was before," he said.
Some of that may have to do with the crowding of the reality singing competition field. America Idol has been joined by The Voice, and The X Factor, which featured former Idol judges Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell.
“The space of singing shows is definitely a little crowded now,” said Jackson during a conference call with reporters on Thursday. “That's what happens when the marketplace gets full."
Despite the softer ratings, Jackson said he still felt the show could “go on for quite a number of years." Jackson added that he plans to stick with the show for a while.
When asked about if host Ryan Seacrest would continue with the show also, Randy said, “I can't imagine doing a show without him, and he's the best at what he does.”
The auditions will move to Hollywood next, airing on February 8, 9 and 15. Jackson told reporters that there’s plenty of drama to look forward in Los Angeles, adding that the show’s medical staff was called in "more than ever. It was kind of weird. I think it just shows the intensity of what was going on."
“I don't think we've had a tougher, more challenging Hollywood Week ever," he added.
When asked about the recent shakeup on The X Factor, with judges Paula Abdul, Nicole Scherzinger and host Steve Jones leaving the show after one season, Jackson said that "it's sad to hear all that's going on with that show."
Jackson had his own opinion about who would make a great replacement judge for the show: Mariah Carey. "She'd be amazing. I don't know if that's ever gonna happen,” he said.
“Simon [Cowell] is one of the smartest people I know,” he added. “I'm sure he's got some very interesting ideas up his sleeve."
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!