'American Idol's' Randy Jackson on the Show's Future, Softer Ratings and Crazy Hollywood Auditions
"The space of singing shows is definitely a little crowded now," said the judge of the show, which is now in its 11th season.
American Idol judge Randy Jackson admits that ratings for the singing competition show aren’t as high as they once were, but he still believe in the show.
"Idol’s in its 11th season, it's still the number one show on television, not by the huge margins it was before," he said.
Some of that may have to do with the crowding of the reality singing competition field. America Idol has been joined by The Voice, and The X Factor, which featured former Idol judges Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell.
“The space of singing shows is definitely a little crowded now,” said Jackson during a conference call with reporters on Thursday. “That's what happens when the marketplace gets full."
Despite the softer ratings, Jackson said he still felt the show could “go on for quite a number of years." Jackson added that he plans to stick with the show for a while.
When asked about if host Ryan Seacrest would continue with the show also, Randy said, “I can't imagine doing a show without him, and he's the best at what he does.”
The auditions will move to Hollywood next, airing on February 8, 9 and 15. Jackson told reporters that there’s plenty of drama to look forward in Los Angeles, adding that the show’s medical staff was called in "more than ever. It was kind of weird. I think it just shows the intensity of what was going on."
“I don't think we've had a tougher, more challenging Hollywood Week ever," he added.
When asked about the recent shakeup on The X Factor, with judges Paula Abdul, Nicole Scherzinger and host Steve Jones leaving the show after one season, Jackson said that "it's sad to hear all that's going on with that show."
Jackson had his own opinion about who would make a great replacement judge for the show: Mariah Carey. "She'd be amazing. I don't know if that's ever gonna happen,” he said.
“Simon [Cowell] is one of the smartest people I know,” he added. “I'm sure he's got some very interesting ideas up his sleeve."
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 5 Seconds Of Summer's Calum Hood Sends Naked Snapchat, Then Shrugs It Off With Emoticon
- Why Courtney Stodden Will Never Be Marilyn Monroe, In Her Own Words
- Ridley Scott Addresses 'Exodus' Casting Following Whitewash Backlash
- It's Labor Day, Which Means Your Future Best Picture Winner Might Already Be Here
- Chelsea Clinton Leaving NBC News to Focus On Her Baby & Other Work
- Margot Robbie Begins Filming 'Tarzan' After Mystery Boyfriend is Revealed!
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson & Wife Sam's Home Raided by Armed Police After Gun Spotted Inside
- Ariana Grande Performs 'Bang Bang' On 'Today' Show; Tells The World She's 'Happy' About Love Life