'American Idol': Sam Woolf Is 'So Grateful' for Twitter
Fellow finalist Alex Preston adds that competing in the age of social media is "a lot better" than seasons past.
Hey Twitterverse, American Idol hears you loud and clear.
While show producers are pushing social on all fronts, from promoting Facebook users during broadcast to enlisting judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick, Jr. to live-tweet during Wednesday’s show, the contestants say they’re feeling the love from their fans all week long.
“I’m so grateful,” fan favorite Sam Woolf says of his 63,000 Twitter followers. Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter following Wednesday’s taping, Woolf said that he “wants to be interacting more,” but “it’s hard sometimes because there’s a lot coming in.” Even if Woolf doesn’t respond directly to his fans’ messages, the singer assured THR that he sees them and “it helps a lot” as he prepares for each week’s competition.
Alex Preston, with more than 45,000 followers to his name, says that being an Idol competitor in the age of social media has definite advantages.
“It’s a lot better now because you can really interact with the people who are keeping you in the competition,” he tells THR. “They are the only reason I’m still here, so I pretty much owe everything to them. All I want to do now is write music that they can connect and relate to.”
We may not hear Preston’s new material for a while, but for now fans can take solace in the fact that he’s eyeballing each and every one of their messages.
“Whenever I look at my [direct messages], if someone is going through something tough I always respond and say, ‘Keep your head up,’” Preston says. “When I was a struggling musician, I always appreciated when bigger musicians reached out to me and it kept me going. I want to do the same."
Not getting the response you want? Preston admits that multiple messages are more likely to catch his yee. “A lot of people tweet the exact same tweet but put a different number at the end. One person did it 100 times, I saw it and I was like, ‘Oh, crap! What’s up?’”
To read THR’s complete recap of Wednesday’s Idol, click here.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- The 2016 BET Awards Red Carpet Was Full Of Slayage
- Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar Open BET Awards With Unforgettable Performance
- Chris Mann Debuts New Video: "To The Moon and Back"
- STILL GROOL! MEAN GIRLS Heartthrob JONATHAN BENNETT Talks Being The Host With The Most On CAKE WARS And CUPCAKE WARS, His Favorite MEAN GIRLS Quote, And Dealing With MEAN GIRL Cyber Bullies!
- Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar Surprise The BET Awards with a Performance of 'Freedom'
- Salutations and Greetings to Nick Kroll and John Mulaney, Who Are Going to Star in Oh, Hello on Broadway
- Anna Kendrick Is in 6 Movies This Year and She’s Not Totally Sure Why
- Join Vulture’s Game of Thrones Season 6 Finale Liveblog
- Alicia Keys' BET Awards 2016 Performance Video - Watch Now
- Jennifer Hudson Pays Tribute to Prince at BET Awards 2016 with Tori Kelly & Stevie Wonder (Video)
- Jesse Williams Is the Humanitarian Winner at BET Awards 2016
- Tracee Ellis Ross & Anthony Anderson Spoof 'Hamilton' at BET Awards 2016 - Watch Now!