'American Idol' First Look: New Season 12 Promo Featuring Phillip Phillips (Video)
The season 11 winner stars in a minute-long clip premiering during Fox's World Series broadcast and will also sing the national anthem at the start of Game 1.
"It started with a dream."
So reads the dramatic opening for a new official Fox promo clip teasing American Idol's season 12, which airs during tonight's broadcast of the World Series. (Fox announced the show will premiere Jan. 16 and 17.) And this time around, the show has plenty to sing about. Not only is a new panel set to make its debut come January (the exact air date has yet to be revealed, but is typically in the middle of the month) -- joining series vet Randy Jackson are superstar judges Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban -- but the show's most recent winner has a bonafide hit on his hands: the song "Home."
No wonder season 11 victor Phillip Phillips is getting prime placement on the San Francisco Giants-Detroit Tigers face-off, not only starring in Idol's minute-long commercial, which will air during the game, but also singing the national anthem before the first pitch.
The 22-year-old Leesburg, Georgia native will be in good Idol company for the latter -- among the alums who've bravely tackled the challenging "Star-Spangled Banner" are fellow winners Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Scotty McCreery. Indeed, with "Home" racking up over 2 million single sales, he's one step closer to joining the illustrious but elite club of true Idol successes. Who's next?
Phillips' debut album, The World From The Side Of The Moon (19 Entertainment/Interscope Records), which features the song "Home," will be released on Nov. 19.
Watch the promo clip below:
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Charli XCX's Sultry Backstreet Boys Cover Is The Ultimate #TBT
- Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give A Straw: 'Gone With The Wind's' Secret Curse History - Pop Culture - TODAY.com
- ‘Serial' Fans Are Buzzing About Podcast Finale
- Brooke Shields: Hollywood Wasn't My Undoing, Loving My Alcoholic Mother Was - Pop Culture - TODAY.com
- Bill Murray Will Sing 'Bare Necessities' in 'Jungle Book' Reboot!
- 'Team America: World Police' Showings Cancelled By Paramount After Sony Hack Threats
- Kim Kardashian Has Not Yet Commented About the Man Who Spent a Shocking Amount to Look Just Like Her
- Jada Pinkett Smith Shows Some Love for Her Daughter Willow's Friend