'American Idol' Season 13: 7 Things You Didn't See on Thursday's Elimination Show
The judges didn't use their save, but they sent one contestant off with words of wisdom and hugs.
Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr. may not have used their save on Majesty Rose during Thursday night's American Idol, but they certainly gave her a big send-off.
As the cameras stopped rolling and Fox switched gears into Christopher Meloni's new sitcom Surviving Jack, the Idol judges joined Randy Jackson in a nearly 10-minute conversation with the show's latest castoff, offering what appeared to be words of wisdom and big hugs. Rose almost missed the moment -- the 22-year-old North Carolina native attempted to exit the stage with just a wave in their direction before Connick flagged her down.
How did the studio audience handle the news of Rose's elimination? And which judge gave a swoon-worthy response to one fan's handmade sign? The Hollywood Reporter had eyes and ears inside the LA studio on Thursday, and offers up seven things you didn't see on TV.
1. "A lot of people want to take Sam to prom": Idol warm-up guy Cory Live chimed in on Sam Woolf's female fandom, with at least one homemade sign in the audience reading, "Sam, Prom?"
2. They say it's your birthday: An Idol birthday? Apparently an audience seat at the Fox show is the go-to gift this year. At least three audience members announced that it was their big day before the broadcast started.
3. No malfunctions here: Janelle Monae pre-taped her performance before the broadcast even started. While some fans were in the audience while she taped, most -- including the judges -- watched on a screen.
4. Keith hearts you: Responding to one hand made sign ("<3 you Keith"), the "Cop Car" singer pointed to his fan and cupped his hands into the heart shape made famous by Taylor Swift. In case you're wondering, Keith had by far the most fan signs dedicated to him. Even more than J.Lo!
5. Fist bumps for everyone: When Jackson arrived on set, he offered fist bumps to each and every contestant before settling on that blue couch.
6. Those luscious lips: Moments before being informed that she would be singing for a save, Rose spent the commercial break sipping water -- while never letting the bottle hit her lips. Impressive, considering not a drop landed on her face.
7. No love for CJ: Even before her elimination, Rose was the clear favorite among fans, as they screamed her name and waved to her throughout the broadcast. CJ Harris, not so much. Between the bottom three, all cheers were directed at Woolfe and Rose. Ouch. Hey, at least the people at home voted in his favor.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- In a Move You Can Probably Domo Arigato Mr. Robot for, NBC Is Adapting Hacker Film Sneakers
- Sky Ferreira to Do a Lot of Rockin’ and Headbangin’ in a Black Metal Film
- Ryan Gosling Was Almost Cast on Gilmore Girls, and Other Things We Learned From the Show’s Fan Fest
- Nobel Academy Member: Bob Dylan’s Silence Is ‘Arrogant and Impolite’