'American Idol' Finale Recap: Season 13 Winner Crowned
Caleb Johnson or Jena Irene? After a slew of star-studded performances -- and the first judges' collaboration in 'Idol' history -- a winner was named.
It came down to Caleb Johnson and Jena Irene on American Idol on Wednesday, and before naming the winner of the thirteenth season, the two enjoyed a slew of performances.
Johnson and Irene first opened the show with a head-banging medley of Queen's "We Will Rock You," No Doubt's "Just a Girl," and Tina Turner and Bryan Adams' "It's Only Love." Johnson also took the stage with KISS for a pyrotechnic-filled performance of "Love Gun" and "Shout It Out Loud," and Irene sat down at the piano for Paramore's "Decode," and was joined by the band for "Aint It Fun," complete with a slew of massive yellow balloons.
The season's finalists also took the stage with chart-toppers: Sam Woolf returned with Phillip Phillips' "Home," only to be interrupted with Phillips himself performing his latest single, "Raging Fire." Jennifer Nettles then took the stage for "That Girl," and was joined by Jessica Meuse for Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball." John Legend stopped by to sing "You and I" and then duet with Malaya Watson on "All of Me." Alex Preston and Jason Mraz shared "Love Someone," and Darius Rucker reunited best friends Dexter Roberts and C.J. Harris for "Alright."
Aloe Blacc also sang "The Man" with the season's male finalists, and Demi Lovato shared "Don't Really Care" and "Neon Lights" with the female singers. And even host Ryan Seacrest got his own duet moment, joining Richard Marx for a chorus of "Right Here Waiting," followed by Lady Antebellum performing their new single "Bartender."
The episode also featured performances by the judges: Jennifer Lopez performed her latest release "First Love," and for the first time in Idol history, the show's judges and mentor joined onstage for a performance: Lopez, Keith Urban, Harry Connick Jr. and Randy Jackson sang a mash-up of Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors" and Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way."
And finally, the winner was revealed: Johnson was named the champion of American Idol's season 13, and hugged his family, friends and fellow contestants on the confetti-filled stage while touting the mic for a final performance.
What did you think of the season finale? Sound off in the comments below!
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Scottie Pippen Files For Divorce From Wife Larsa Pippen After 19 Years
- Kim Kardashian Says She 'Can Handle' Lack Of Privacy In Chilling Interview Taped Before Robbery
- This Halloween, Don’t Be THAT Person With The Frighteningly Offensive Costume
- Kate McKinnon's 'Ghostbusters' Bloopers Prove She's An American Hero
- This Is What a $30,000 Cosplay Outfit Looks Like
- Every Episode of Black Mirror, Ranked From Worst to Best
- The High Maintenance Creators on Their First HBO Season, Interrogating Their Fans, and Why ‘The Guy’ Is Less Chill These Days
- Anne Hathaway Truthers Rejoice: She Admits She Faked Her Way Through That Oscar Acceptance Speech