'American Idol': Shannon Magrane Sympathizes With Fellow Booted Finalist Jermaine Jones
"I know how it feels to go home," said the Tampa teen, who was sent packing on Thursday's results show.
Capping off an emotional week on American Idol, voters eliminated 16-year-old Florida finalist Shannon Magrane on Thursday night’s results show.
Magrane’s send-off came following the disqualification of co-finalist Jermaine Jones from the competition due to outstanding arrest warrants and apparent failure to come clean with show producers about his criminal record.
In a conference call with reporters Friday, Magrane said she and her fellow Idol contestants were just as surprised as America while learning about Jones' departure in their dressing rooms.
"All our jaws dropped to the floor," she said.
The teen said she feels sympathy for Jones, as both singers found themselves at the end of their Idol journey the same week.
"I know how it feels to go home," she said, adding: "I know exactly what he’s going through. … I feel really bad for him."
Magrane expressed disappointment that her time was cut short, just one spot shy of joining the season-11 summer tour.
"I really wanted to go on tour. This is what I've wanted to do since I was a little girl," she said. "I was so close to it."
Speaking of girls, how did Magrane feel in the bottom three amongst Elise Testone and Erika Van Pelt? Will this be a repeat of season 10, where America picked off the girls one by one?
"There have been lots of guys that have been winning the last couple of years," she said. "All the girls, I know, are fighting for that spot, to be the next American Idol. I certainly was."
She name-checked Phillip Phillips and Heejun Han as examples of guys that are getting oodles of female fan love either for cuteness and sense of humor.
"We understand that, but we are thinking 'girls got to vote for the girls.' We have to stick with them. We got to have that girl power, and stick together," she said, noting that the guys have a "competitive edge."
Magrane said she doesn't blame the judges for declining to use their save, adding that they should use the privilege later in the season for someone else who's in trouble.
"I don't think they should have used it this early in the competition because you never know. Somebody could be so good and can be kicked off because they already used it," she observed.
"Last year they used the save for Casey (Abrams) and I think they should have used it, because Casey was so talented," she said. "If they used it for me, America wouldn’t have too much to look forward to with the save."
After the show, Magrane said she felt better unloading her post-elimination feelings to her parents -- and journalists on the scene.
"It was kind of like therapy, I just let it all out,” she told. "It’s like my dad and mom said, 'Pick yourself up, get on your feet and hold yourself tall because this is not the end for you.' And this is not the end for me."
Magrane, said she's not ready to return to school in Tampa.
"I’m really looking forward to doing my own music," she said of her future plans.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- DJ Khaled Was 'Talking Mogul Talk' With Arianna Huffington At White House Correspondents' Dinner
- Kendall Jenner Was Starstruck For The 'First Time Ever' After Meeting Obama
- Actor Lenny Platt of ABC's Quantico is a Philly Boy!
- Beyoncé Postpones Nashville Show Just Days After Formation World Tour Kicks Off
- What, You Thought Carrie Fisher Wasn't Going to Bring Her Dog, Gary Fisher, to the Correspondents' Dinner?
- Why Mark Schultz Isn't in Team Foxcatcher
- Haim's Cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'Dreams' Will Have You Seeing Crystal Visions in No Time
- You'll Probably Need Aloe Vera For All of the Burns From Larry Wilmore's Correspondents' Dinner Monologue
- President Obama Takes Jabs at Donald Trump & Other Potential Candidates at White House Correspondents' Dinner (Video)
- Rosario Dawson & Jaimie Alexander Attend D.C. Garden Brunch
- President Obama's Daughter Malia to Attend Harvard in Fall 2017
- Kate Middleton Takes Her First Magazine Cover for 'Britsh Vogue'