'American Idol' Names Tommy Hilfiger as Show's Image Advisor
All-American designer will help budding singers find their style identity beginning March 15.
Step aside music advisors. Starting next week, American Idol contestants will begin receiving style tips from world-renowned fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger as they continue to develop their performance identities on the show.
"I am honored to be joining Ryan, Steven, Jennifer, Randy and Jimmy for the 11th season of American Idol,” says Hilfiger in a statement being issued on March 8. “My own experiences at the beginning of my career inspired my commitment to mentor young people who are dedicated to pursuing their dreams. Musicians can bring such a unique vision and personality to the stage. I admire risk takers who share my belief in the power of fashion to transform and influence, and I look forward to working with the artists to guide them in defining their performance style and identity.”
Indeed, who better to call on for American Idol’s new image advisor than Hilfiger, who has embodied classic, all-American style for the past 25 years?
From the catwalk to the Idol stage, this won't be Hilfiger’s first time helping musical artists define themselves through fashion. The award-winning designer has drawn from music for his inspiration since the age of 18, when he began selling bell-bottom jeans and styling for his brother’s band.
Since then, Hilfiger’s upscale denim designs have been worn by legends including the Rolling Stones, Lenny Kravitz, Britney Spears, David Bowie, Taylor Swift and Beyonce.
The designer has also received the fashion world’s seal of approval, having earned kudos from the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Parsons School of Design, Marie Claire, Women's Wear Daily and GQ, to name a few.
Watch the top 12 perform -- and see what they are wearing -- live on Wednesday, March 14th at 8/7c on FOX.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'Who Killed Captain Alex?': The Best Worst Film of 2010, Uganda-Style
- Zooey Deschanel And New Husband Jacob Pechenik Welcome Baby Girl
- Gwen Stefani And Gavin Rossdale Split After Nearly 13 Years Of Marriage
- Get Ready for Lord Dominator, Wander Over Yonder's New Extreme Bad Guy Who Happens to Be a Gal
- The Mindy Project’s Ike Barinholtz Will Make His Literary Debut in 2017
- You’re the Worst Season Two Trailer Features Strip Clubs and Countless Shots, of Course
- Game of Thrones Gets a New Three-Eyed Raven
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale Are the Latest Celebrity Couple to Divorce Because Nothing Is Sacred