'American Idol' Summer Tour Taps One Direction Hit for Major Group Number (Video)
Phillip Phillips and the rest of Season 11's Top 10 take a page from the Simon Cowell songbook and sing "What Makes You Beautiful" by "X Factor" UK's mega-successful boy band.
American Idol's Season 11 top 10 Idols were all facing in “one direction” Wednesday morning, as they stood before a large assortment of print and electronic journalists to perform “What Makes You Beautiful,” the top 5 hit by British boy band One Direction, who happen to not only be X Factor UK finalists, but are also signed to ex Idol star Simon Cowell's label Syco.
The Idols ran through the song three times for the press corps. The first two, they sang as a top nine, then they were joined by winner Phillip Phillips for a third preview of one of the songs to be included in the summer American Idol Live! tour, typically a set closer or opener since it involves all the finalists.
Before the trio of performances, the top nine Idols spent almost two hours doing interviews, an annual tradition that takes place the third week in June during their intense rehearsal schedule. Following “What Makes You Beautiful,” Phillips spent time with the press, answering questions about the upcoming tour.
The Hollywood Reporter was there, and we asked the Idols to do something a little different – interview each other. You know they can sing, but how do they rate as on-air reporters?
Stand by for the very entertaining results, coming to THR.com. And check out a preview of the “What Makes You Beautiful" group performance below.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'The Magnificent Seven' Shoots Straight To Top Of The Box Office With $35 Million Debut
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Isaiah Washington Urges All African-Americans To Boycott Work
- The Cast Of 'Will & Grace' Reunited And It Was Almost Too Adorable To Handle
- Arrest Made After Reported Hacking Of Pippa Middleton's Photos
- The Magnificent Seven Performed Magnificently at the Box Office This Weekend
- Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon Talks Beyoncé, Pepsi and Corporate Partnerships: ‘You Have to Believe in Something’
- The Nirvana Nevermind Baby Recreated the Famous Cover and He Looks Exactly the Same (No, Not Really, He Got Older)
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Joins Weird Al Yankovic to Sing ‘Yoda,’ Achieving the Much Sought After Nerd Holy Trinity