'American Idol' Champion Phillip Phillips Had 8 Surgeries During Season 11
The winner’s father said fans have “just seen a glimpse of what Phillip can do.”
The music world knows Phillip Phillips as its newest American Idol champion, but it may not have seen him at the top of his game.
The 21-year-old’s father revealed Thursday that the singer has undergone eight surgeries since his run for the Idol crown began in January.
"He's been doing [well], but it's just grueling hours and it's just amazing what he's done through the journey," Phillip Phillips, father of the Idol champion, told People.
The younger Phillips suffered from a buildup of kidney stones and had surgeries to remove them. He has another surgery scheduled for sometime in the next few weeks, which his father said would not interfere with his participation in the Idol summer tour.
"They've just seen a glimpse of what Phillip can do,” the elder Phillips said. “We can't wait to get him well and 100 percent and really see how he can perform."
The Idol winner acknowledged his health complications had made getting through the season tough, and praised those who supported him.
“I had great doctors and great people surrounding me [who] really helped out, so it's just a blessing to be here,” he said after his win Wednesday.
Phillips may have a lot on his plate, but he isn’t resting on his laurels. He taped an appearance Thursday for NBC’s Tonight Show, which he took to Twitter to promote.
“So cool to be on @jayleno ,” Phillips tweeted. “Such a cool guy and got to meet the amazing Glenn Close! Never thought i would ever be on a late night show haha.”
The Idols Live Tour kicks off July 6 in Detroit.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- California Just Passed A Law Requiring IMDb To Remove Ages Upon Request
- You’ll Never Find a Better Judi Dench Impression Than in the Trailer for Tracey Ullman’s Show, We Guarantee It
- The Newsroom Meets Mad Men in the First Trailer for Amazon’s Good Girls Revolt
- You Can Now Stream David Bowie’s Previously Unreleased Album The Gouster
- Gigi Hadid Steps Out for 'TommyxGigi' Launch Event in Milan
- Nicole Richie Celebrates Birthday with Joel Madden, Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, & More at Disco-Themed Party!
- Adriana Lima & Joan Smalls Hit the Runway at the Bottega Veneta Show during Milan Fashion Week
- Alessandra Ambrosio Lands at LAX After Modeling Abroad