'American Idol's' Fantasia Barrino Clarifies Gay Marriage Comment in Instagram Rant (Video)
The season three winner says bloggers took her words -- "Weed legal in some places, Gay Marriage Legal BUT YET IM JUDGED!!!" -- "out of context."
American Idol season three winner Fantasia Barrino raised a few eyebrows with fans after posting a rant referencing the gay marriage and marijuana laws Monday on her Instagram account.
“I Rise ABOVE IT ALL!!! THE WORLD IS GONE MAD. KIDS, THE GOVERMENT, THE church House… Everybody Trying!!!!!!!,” she wrote. “It’s a lot that going on that the Bible speaks about we should Not be doing. Weed legal in some places, Gay Marriage Legal BUT YET IM JUDGED!!! Im not doing Nothing for you… My Life!!!!”
Since the inflammatory post appeared, Barrino’s account drew the ire of angry fans, who posted words of disappointment on the singer’s feed.
A quick response from the Idol alum's management, as well as a statement from the singer herself, was promptly released to address the situation.
“Comments made by Ms. Barrino through her Intragram account were recently taken far out of context, and the purpose of this release is to set the record straight,” read the statement. “Ms. Barrino is not now, nor has she ever been an opponent of the LGBT community. She has supported and performed at numerous events that are sponsored by the LGBT community. Whether it’s through a live performance or placement on social media, Ms. Barrino uses every opportunity to reach out and connect with her fans, all of her fans.”
The Grammy winner later took to Instagram with a pink photo lined with Hello Kitty images and a rebuke of Internet bloggers in her own words.
“It has been brought to my attention that something I said was taken out of context,” she said. “I, Fantasia Monique Barrino, don’t judge anyone because I don’t want to be judged. The gay community is one of my largest supporters. I support the gay community as they support me. Bloggers please stop misrepresenting the facts.”
Barrino recently released her catchy new single, "Lose to Win," to radio this month. It will be available on iTunes on Jan. 8.
With a theme about a romance gone wrong, "Lose to Win" is a positive and upbeat song that talks about a failed relationship with the wrong person.
"Have you ever needed someone so bad?/But he ain’t willing to make it last/Sometimes you gotta lose to win again,” Barrino sings in the chorus.
Take a peek at Barrino's video, featuring talk show host Wendy Williams, below.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- DJ Khaled Was 'Talking Mogul Talk' With Arianna Huffington At White House Correspondents' Dinner
- Kendall Jenner Was Starstruck For The 'First Time Ever' After Meeting Obama
- Actor Lenny Platt of ABC's Quantico is a Philly Boy!
- Beyoncé Postpones Nashville Show Just Days After Formation World Tour Kicks Off
- What, You Thought Carrie Fisher Wasn't Going to Bring Her Dog, Gary Fisher, to the Correspondents' Dinner?
- Why Mark Schultz Isn't in Team Foxcatcher
- Haim's Cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'Dreams' Will Have You Seeing Crystal Visions in No Time
- You'll Probably Need Aloe Vera For All of the Burns From Larry Wilmore's Correspondents' Dinner Monologue
- President Obama Takes Jabs at Donald Trump & Other Potential Candidates at White House Correspondents' Dinner (Video)
- Rosario Dawson & Jaimie Alexander Attend D.C. Garden Brunch
- President Obama's Daughter Malia to Attend Harvard in Fall 2017
- Kate Middleton Takes Her First Magazine Cover for 'Britsh Vogue'