'American Idol's' Randy Jackson Calls 'The Voice' 'Gimmicky' (Exclusive)
The judge snaps back after Adam Levine says on the NBC show this week, "The people that we're not turning our chairs around for could win 'American Idol.' "
If there was any doubt whether NBC's new show The Voice and American Idol would be at each other's proverbial throats, Voice coach Adam Levine made sure of it on this week's episode. That's when the Maroon 5 frontman remarked, "The people that we're not turning our chairs around for could win American Idol," after he and fellow celebrities Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green and Blake Shelton opted not to press the buttons on their Trek-like seats, clearly unimpressed with the talent rollout. It was the dis heard 'round the singing competition world.
So far, the stars and executives of Idol have been fairly low-key about Voice's entry into the talent show sphere, where it has racked up impressive ratings over a two-week span, to the tune of some 12.4 million viewers on its most recent airing, but judge Randy Jackson has something to say about Levine's comments.
"It's a great thing when talent can be simple, honest and revered as opposed to spinning around with gimmicky chairs," Jackson tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Maybe Simon Cowell should have people opening doors. Like, 'Knock, knock. Who's singing? I can't see you!'" PHOTOS: Remember American Idol's top 13?
Jackson jabs, but it's (mostly) in good fun. "Look, none of these other shows could exist without somebody forging the path before them," he says. "I'm happy to say that Idol did that and paved the way." PHOTOS: Behind the scenes of another NBC show
Still, Jackson — like many others who have a vested interest in the success, both on-air and off, of contestants who come out of these shows (which include Cowell's The X Factor, premiering in September) — is concerned about a glut. "My only fear with all these shows coming is that people don't tire of the format," he adds. "I don't know how much singing at you the public can take."
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Interview: Sinéad O'Connor Isn't Bossy; She's the Boss
- Pregnant Mila Kunis Is Still Continuing Her Yoga Workouts
- Pregnant Megan Hilty & Her Hubby 'Bully' Audiences Into Buying Her Album to Help Pay For Their Baby's Education!
- Kim Kardashian Satisfies Her Sweet Tooth with Some Fro-Yo
- Mary-Kate Olsen Adds Horseback Riding to Her Resume - See Her Competition Pics!