Clay Aiken Loses Bid for Congress
The 'American Idol' alum was trying to unseat Rep. Renee Ellmers for a spot in the House
Clay Aiken is a runner-up once again.
The 35-year-old American Idol alum has been projected to lose to incumbent Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.) in his bid for a seat in the House.
According to the Associated Press, Ellmers is leading Aiken 56 percent to 44 percent on Tuesday evening, giving Ellmers her third term representing North Carolina's second District. Ellmers had maintained a lead throughout the campaign, according to The Hill.
In what may have been a bad omen for Aiken, his campaign bus broke down while he was leaving a polling place Tuesday morning and had to be towed off the road.
Aiken, a Democrat and Raleigh, North Carolina, native, was declared the winner of his party's primary in May, when his opponent, Keith Crisco, died six days after the primary from injuries sustained in an accidental fall. Crisco had been set to concede the day after his death.
This was the first political run for the singer, best known for coming in second to Ruben Studdard on American Idol's second season. Had he defeated Ellmers, Aiken would have been the South's first openly gay representative.
A photo of Aiken's campaign bus getting towed can be seen below.
— Derek Rowles (@DerekRowles) November 4, 2014
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Barb’s Fate Is Somehow Even Sadder in the ’80s 8-Bit Video-Game Version of Stranger Things
- Kid Cudi Couldn’t Release His Album in Time, So Please Enjoy ‘Surfin’’ Featuring Pharrell Williams
- Ava DuVernay’s 13th Is an Essential, If Imperfect, Look at Race Relations and Incarceration
- Paterson Trailer: Adam Driver’s Poetic Bus Driver Brings Nuance to the New Jersey Transit
- Kellan Lutz & AnnaLynne McCord Check Out the Thrills at Knott's Scary Farm!
- Tom Holland Snaps A Selfie While Filming 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Jamie Chung Celebrates Lou & Grey NYC Opening & Charlotte Tilbury Beauty Launch!
- Vanessa Hudgens & Austin Butler Brave the Scares at Knott's Scary Farm Opening!