Clay Aiken's Congressional Primary Too Close to Call
The Democratic congressional primary race between the "American Idol" runner-up and textile entrepreneur Keith Crisco remained very close Tuesday night.
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – The Democratic congressional primary race between former American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken and textile entrepreneur Keith Crisco remained very close and without a clear winner.
Aiken and Crisco each had about 40 percent of the vote, trailed by licensed family counselor Toni Morris of Fayetteville in Tuesday's primary race in the 2nd Congressional District.
Aiken's first political campaign drew an unusual amount of celebrity buzz thanks to his singing career and a second-place finish on Celebrity Apprentice. Crisco spent four years as the state's top business recruiter under under former Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue.
The primary winner will challenge incumbent Republican U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers in November. Ellmers, first elected in the 2010 Tea Party wave, handily defeated her challenger in the heavily Republican district.
Aiken has said reporters are the only people asking whether being a gay man could impede his campaign to represent such a conservative district. Both he and Crisco touted themselves as centrists.
"We need to stay out of people's bedrooms," Bob Finch, a 57-year-old Democrat from Lee County, said on Tuesday.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Empire State Building Pays Tribute To Endangered Animals, Remembers Cecil The Lion
- 'Friday Night Lights' Coach Is Back With A Helpful Pep Talk
- A Fair Way to Choose Candidates for Republican Debate: Learning From the Oscars
- Candace Cameron Bure Shares Adorable Snap Of Kimmy, DJ And Stephanie On Set Of 'Fuller House'
- Watch the Fantastic Four Cast Weather These Ignorant Interview Questions
- Travi$ Scott Got Arrested After His Lollapalooza Act for Trying to Make His Fans Go Crazy
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Kerry Bishé on Donna’s Huge Season, and Why the Show Isn’t a Bigger Hit
- Mitt Romney Is Going to Be Pissed If There Are No Pancakes on Stephen Colbert's Late Show
- January Jones, Kiernan Shipka & Jon Hamm Have 'Mad Men' Reunion At Oceana's SeaChange Party
- These Photos of the 'Fantastic Four' Cast Holding Hands in NYC Are Cutest Thing You'll See Today
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Killer Bikini Body in New Selfie
- Christina Applegate Answers Question About 80s Breakup With Brad Pitt (Video)