Clay Aiken's Congressional Primary Too Close to Call
The Democratic congressional primary race between the "American Idol" runner-up and textile entrepreneur Keith Crisco remained very close Tuesday night.
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – The Democratic congressional primary race between former American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken and textile entrepreneur Keith Crisco remained very close and without a clear winner.
Aiken and Crisco each had about 40 percent of the vote, trailed by licensed family counselor Toni Morris of Fayetteville in Tuesday's primary race in the 2nd Congressional District.
Aiken's first political campaign drew an unusual amount of celebrity buzz thanks to his singing career and a second-place finish on Celebrity Apprentice. Crisco spent four years as the state's top business recruiter under under former Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue.
The primary winner will challenge incumbent Republican U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers in November. Ellmers, first elected in the 2010 Tea Party wave, handily defeated her challenger in the heavily Republican district.
Aiken has said reporters are the only people asking whether being a gay man could impede his campaign to represent such a conservative district. Both he and Crisco touted themselves as centrists.
"We need to stay out of people's bedrooms," Bob Finch, a 57-year-old Democrat from Lee County, said on Tuesday.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Why Comedian/Podcaster Marc Maron is a Preist and a Prophet
- Newport Folk Festival Celebrates 50 Years Since Bob Dylan Went Electric
- As Duggar Dad Ran On A Political Platform Saying Rape And Incest Merited Capital Punishment, He Was Covering Up His Son's Actions
- WTF! Merriam-Webster Adds A Bunch Of Internet Slang To Dictionary
- Edgar Ramirez & Luke Bracey Are Extreme Sports Addicts in 'Point Break' Reboot Trailer - Watch Now!
- Charlize Theron's 'Mad Max' Performance Was 'Astonishing' to Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Chrissy Teigen Goes Nude For Sexy DuJour Feature With John Legend
- Diane Kruger & January Jones Reunite for Memorial Day Party