Colton Dixon Returning to 'American Idol' Stage Next Week (Exclusive)
The season 11 favorite will perform during the March 28 results show -- and may do something "special" for season 12 competitor Angie Miller.
Season 11 alum Colton Dixon will make a triumphant return to the American Idol stage on the March 28 results show, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
“I am going to be on next week, which is crazy,” Dixon tells THR. “It is coming up so fast."
Dixon, who is on the road as an opening act for Third Day promoting his CD A Messenger, says he is excited to return to the show but was coy about divulging which song he will be performing.
“I can’t,” he says. “They will kill me if I did. Let's just say there is going to be a lot of energy on stage."
Energy? As in plenty of “Noise,” to coin a title from the 21-year old Mufreesboro,Tenn. singer’s debut CD?
“You’ll have to wait and see,” he says.
Dixon adds that he is looking forward to seeing familiar faces such as Randy Jackson and Ryan Seacrest again and wants to “shake Keith Urban’s hand." However, he is especially eager to see Angie Miller, who covered his song “Never Gone” on the show. After Miller performed the single, its weekly sales jumped from a couple of hundred to 9,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
The Massachusetts native was a fan of Dixon when he competed on season 11 and paid homage to her Idol with a YouTube cover of the song last year.
“I saw that with a buddy of mine several months ago. I commented on it, and said it was great,” he said. “I had no idea she was trying out for Idol."
When she did the song on the show and her name started showing up on the singer’s Twitter feed, it all clicked with Dixon, who quips, “Oh snap -- same girl."
“She did an absolutely phenomenal job,” he raves. “I loved her version of it, and I wish there was an iTunes version of it."
Perhaps the two artists can discuss that on Idol next week.
“We are going to have to do something special,” he said. “I owe her a huge thanks."
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'The Magnificent Seven' Shoots Straight To Top Of The Box Office With $35 Million Debut
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Isaiah Washington Urges All African-Americans To Boycott Work
- The Cast Of 'Will & Grace' Reunited And It Was Almost Too Adorable To Handle
- Arrest Made After Reported Hacking Of Pippa Middleton's Photos
- The Magnificent Seven Performed Magnificently at the Box Office This Weekend
- Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon Talks Beyoncé, Pepsi and Corporate Partnerships: ‘You Have to Believe in Something’
- The Nirvana Nevermind Baby Recreated the Famous Cover and He Looks Exactly the Same (No, Not Really, He Got Older)
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Joins Weird Al Yankovic to Sing ‘Yoda,’ Achieving the Much Sought After Nerd Holy Trinity