'American Idol' Grammy Nominations By the Numbers
Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson and Mandisa all grabbed noms this year.
Former American Idol contestants were feeling the love from The Recording Academy when the nominees for the 54th Grammy Awards were announced on Wednesday.
Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Mandisa all picked up nominations this year.
Underwood’s “Mama's Song” was nominated for Best Country Solo Performance and will compete with tracks from Jason Aldean, Martina McBride, Blake Shelton and Taylor Swift.
Clarkson’s duet with Jason Aldean, “Don't You Wanna Stay,” picked up a nod for Best Country Duo/Group Performance. She will go up against Kenny Chesney, The Civil Wars and Thompson Square.
Mandisa's “What If We Were Real” will compete for Best Contemporary Christian Album. She will face off against Leeland, Brandon Heath, Gungor, Royal Tailor and Chris Tomlin. This would be the first Grammy win for the Season 5 Idol contestant. She is currently touring with EMI label mate and fellow Grammy nominee Matthew West on The Heart of Christmas tour.
Clarkson, the very first winner of Idol, won Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and Best Pop Vocal Album at the 2005 Grammy Awards.
The nominees for the 54th Grammy Awards were announced on Nov. 30 at a concert event in Los Angeles. Kanye West leads the nominations with seven, followed by Adele, Bruno Mars and the Foo Fighters who grabbed six nods each.
The Grammy will take place in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2012 airing live on CBS.B
By the numbers:
9: The number of Grammy nominations for Carrie Underwood.
5: The number Grammy wins for Carrie Underwood. The Season 4 winner leads with the most Grammy wins of any Idol graduate.
3: The number of times Underwood has won Best Female Country Vocal Performance. They were consecutive wins.
11: Number of Grammy nominations Idol alum Fantasia has received throughout her career. She finally won an award at the 2011 event for Best Female Vocal Performance.
2006: The first year an Idol contestant -- Kelly Clarkson -- won a Grammy. At least one Idol alum has won an award every year since.
9: Total number of Grammy wins by former Idol contestants.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Sweet Painting Lady: Ciara McAvoy Resurrects the Art of the Movie Poster
- Illustrators Protest Qatar's Alleged World Cup Labor Abuses With Redesigned Logos
- Let Rapping Big Bird Make Your Day As He Throws Down To Big Pun's 'Still Not A Player'
- This Creative Bride And Groom Had A Bunch Of Puppets Officiate Their Wedding
- Dang, Kanye West Settled That Lawsuit Over His 'Bound 2' Sample
- Lenny Jacobson on the Crazy Big Time In Hollywood, FL Finale, and Why the Show Makes for a Perfect Binge-Watch
- Batman Spotted on Suicide Squad Set Doing Batman Stuff
- Jeremy Renner Reenacted Wedding Crashers, Except for That Very Long, Unfunny Part in the Third Act