Mariah Carey: Your Next 'American Idol' Judge? (Report)
UPDATED: The singer is having "serious talks" with the show about joining the judges' panel, according to a new report.
Following Steven Tyler's official and bizarrely-worded farewell notice, another big name has been tossed out as a potential new judge on American Idol: Mariah Carey.
"She's in play," a source tells People magazine. "They are in serious talks."
A rep for Carey did not immediately respond to THR's request for comment. An Idol rep had no comment.
If Carey is indeed seriously considering the gig, her hiring would be a major celebrity get for the show; the 42-year-old is a Grammy-winning singer with a famously multi-octave vocal range, inarguably successful career and made-for-TV eccentric personality. (See: her vast Hello Kitty collection.)
Carey's star power, and Paula Abdul-ish personality, could be a boon to the show’s sagging ratings (down 25 percent from 2011). She also has ties to the Fox competition's longtime judge, Randy Jackson, with whom she's worked over the course of her music career.
Meanwhile, Jennifer Lopez -- and maybe even Jackson -- could soon follow Tyler out the door. As Lopez teased on Thursday's Today show, "I've just enjoyed it so much. But I am thinking that maybe it’s time for me to go and do other things that I really love to do."
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Get Ready for Big, Bad Negan With This Walking Dead Prologue Teaser
- Jeremy Clarkson Did an Ad for Amazon Prime Drones, Probably Made Oodles of Money from It
- Jack White Celebrated Thanksgiving by Opening a Third Man Records Store in Detroit
- A Taylor Swift Fan Got to Meet Her Idol Before Losing Her Hearing
- Celebrities React to Suspenseful Patriots vs. Broncos Sunday Night Football Game - Read the Tweets!
- Anne Hathaway Keeps Her Baby Bump Covered Up
- Kristin Cavallari Shares First Photo of Her Daughter Saylor with Quarterback Jay Cutler!
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6 Sneak Peek Teases Negan's Story Line - Watch Now!