Mariah Carey Will Be a 'Wonderful' 'American Idol' Judge, Says Haley Reinhart (Video)
The season 10 alum also vouched for Gwen Stefani, Adam Lambert and Paul McCartney as potential additions to the Fox family.
After weeks of speculation regarding American Idol’s revolving door of judges, Fox announced on Monday that Mariah Carey has officially signed on for the singing competition’s next season.
Many members of the media had predicted Carey’s participation (she’s managed by fellow Idol judge Randy Jackson), while other contenders reportedly include former Idol contestant Adam Lambert, Gwen Stefani, Miley Cyrus and more. Earlier this month, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler officially exited their posts after two seasons, while it remains to be seen whether Jackson will stay with the program.
“It’s sad to see them go, but if they’re gonna pick a new bath of judges, I think that it’s a really great opportunity to find some people that really can give some great, great advice,” season 10 second runner-up Haley Reinhart told The Hollywood Reporter at Sunday’s Teen Choice Awards. “I know there’s names thrown out there, like I just heard Gwen Stefani and Mariah Carey and even Adam Lambert, a past Idol. I think all these ideas are wonderful.”
Reinhart admits she hopes to see another iconic rocker fill Tyler’s shoes on the show, suggesting the legendary Paul McCartney as an option to “come in and fill that gap.”
Also speaking with THR at Teen Choice was season six winner Jordin Sparks, who would love to see Lambert join the panel.
“I think it would be great. I think Adam is so talented, his voice is just out of this world,” Sparks said. “It would be funny, too, because you would never know what he’s going to say. You would have to be on guard, the censor people… but I love Adam, I think he’s incredible.”
As former Idols, themselves, would Reinhart or Sparks ever consider a judging gig?
“I do love to critique,” said Reinhart. “There’s a fine line with being harsh and yet telling them the truth, and I think if I was given the chance it would be a really, really cool opportunity.”
But Sparks is singing a different tune.
“Nope. I can 100 percent say that I do not [want to judge],” Sparks exclaimed. “I would love to be a mentor, I think I would fit better on that side because it would be really hard for me to say, ‘I’m sorry sweetie, that just wasn’t good enough.’ I don't know how I could say that because I remember standing there, so for me having gone through it, I don’t know if I could put somebody else through that.”
For more from Sparks and Reinhart, watch the videos above and below.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@thr.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- The 2016 BET Awards Red Carpet Was Full Of Slayage
- Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar Open BET Awards With Unforgettable Performance
- Chris Mann Debuts New Video: "To The Moon and Back"
- STILL GROOL! MEAN GIRLS Heartthrob JONATHAN BENNETT Talks Being The Host With The Most On CAKE WARS And CUPCAKE WARS, His Favorite MEAN GIRLS Quote, And Dealing With MEAN GIRL Cyber Bullies!
- Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar Surprise The BET Awards with a Performance of 'Freedom'
- Salutations and Greetings to Nick Kroll and John Mulaney, Who Are Going to Star in Oh, Hello on Broadway
- Anna Kendrick Is in 6 Movies This Year and She’s Not Totally Sure Why
- Join Vulture’s Game of Thrones Season 6 Finale Liveblog
- Alicia Keys' BET Awards 2016 Performance Video - Watch Now
- Jennifer Hudson Pays Tribute to Prince at BET Awards 2016 with Tori Kelly & Stevie Wonder (Video)
- Jesse Williams Is the Humanitarian Winner at BET Awards 2016
- Tracee Ellis Ross & Anthony Anderson Spoof 'Hamilton' at BET Awards 2016 - Watch Now!