New 'American Idol' Promo Puts Mariah Carey Front and Center (Video)
The judge says she can relate to the struggle of the hopefuls: "I waitressed and did all these other things I hear a lot of the contestants talk about doing."
Viewers watching last night's X Factor were treated to another look at the upcoming season of American Idol with a new promotional spot featuring Mariah Carey.
The commercial plays into the recurring theme of dreams coming true, with Carey talking directly to the camera about her humble beginnings and how she relates to the struggles of young hopefuls trying to make it in the music industry.
"I didn't have a show like Idol," said the superstar judge. "I waitressed and did all these other things I hear a lot of the contestants talk about doing."
Carey empathizes with young singers in the ad, and discusses how she "always sang" and "wrote" and that people can't give up on their ambitions or their dreams.
The few snippets shown of Carey as a judge portray her as extremely warm, with the Grammy-winning artist telling one singer "I know people are going to love you" and tearing up over another's performance.
"I felt every single word you sang," she tells another jubilant vocalist.
American Idol returns on Jan. 16, 2013.
Watch the clip below:
Follow Michele Amabile on Twitter!
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet