New 'American Idol' Promo Puts Mariah Carey Front and Center (Video)
The judge says she can relate to the struggle of the hopefuls: "I waitressed and did all these other things I hear a lot of the contestants talk about doing."
Viewers watching last night's X Factor were treated to another look at the upcoming season of American Idol with a new promotional spot featuring Mariah Carey.
The commercial plays into the recurring theme of dreams coming true, with Carey talking directly to the camera about her humble beginnings and how she relates to the struggles of young hopefuls trying to make it in the music industry.
"I didn't have a show like Idol," said the superstar judge. "I waitressed and did all these other things I hear a lot of the contestants talk about doing."
Carey empathizes with young singers in the ad, and discusses how she "always sang" and "wrote" and that people can't give up on their ambitions or their dreams.
The few snippets shown of Carey as a judge portray her as extremely warm, with the Grammy-winning artist telling one singer "I know people are going to love you" and tearing up over another's performance.
"I felt every single word you sang," she tells another jubilant vocalist.
American Idol returns on Jan. 16, 2013.
Watch the clip below:
Follow Michele Amabile on Twitter!
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Lizzy Caplan Named Her Cat Colbert, But Like in a Cool Way, Not Like You Squares Naming Your Cat Colbert Today
- What’s Leaving Netflix: June 2016
- From American Crime Story to Fargo, Why Limited Series Make for Such Good TV
- Preacher’s Creators and Stars Discuss Blowing Up Tom Cruise, Southern Accents, and Playing God
- Kit Harington Gets A Phone Call From 'Game of Thrones' Co-Star During Radio Interview
- Kardashian Family Helps Scott Disick Celebrate His Birthday
- Mila Kunis & Ashton Kutcher Answer Phones Together for Red Nose Day Telecast!
- Megan Hilty & Colin Donnell Couple Up At Cirque du Soleil's 'Paramour' Opening Night!