Nigel Lythgoe Angered, 'Shocked' by 'The Voice' Emmy Win
The former "American Idol" executive producer expressed his frustration on Twitter immediately after the award for Outstanding Reality-Competition Show was announced.
Nigel Lythgoe is still peeved about the Emmys' American Idol snub.
The Fox show's former executive producer took to Twitter immediately after the award for Outstanding Reality-Competition Show was handed to NBC's The Voice.
Lythgoe's So You Think You Can Dance was also nominated in the category, up against The Amazing Race, Project Runway, Dancing With the Stars and Top Chef. But losing in the reality category "shocked" him for another reason.
Lythgoe, who is the co-creator and executive producer of So You Think You Can Dance expressed disappointment that Idol -- entering its 13th season in 2014 -- was consistently beaten in the category for over a decade, losing nearly as many times to The Amazing Race.
"I'm talking about over the 11 years American Idol changed the face of television across the World it didn't win an Emmy," he continued. "Not just lately."
Ironically, Idol was represented in two separate segments. The first referenced host Ryan Seacrest in a sketch parodying Neil Patrick Harris and Arsenio Hall's hosting addiction, where both are hauled off to "The Ryan Seacrest Center for Excessive Hosting."
Later in the show, season-four alum Carrie Underwood performed a tender version of "Yesterday" by The Beatles.
On a positive note, Lythgoe had words of praise for Dancing With the Stars dancer Derek Hough on his win for best choreography.
"Thrilled for@DerekHough. Delighted for all the choreographers." he tweeted. "More importantly so proud to see DANCE take the main stage at #The Emmy's."
The 64-year-old Brit was let go from Idol in July, stating that he was "truly saddened to be leaving a great team of friends and colleagues. … If the executives that are now in charge of American Idol believe that the ratings will improve with my departure, I have no complaints," he added.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Reese Witherspoon Loves Mindy Kaling's 'Wreath Witherspoon' Creation
- Ansel Elgort Responds To Rumors He's Gay: ‘I Like Girls, A Lot'
- Reading, PA's 'Ugly' Charlie Brown-Themed Christmas Tree Has More Holiday Spirit Than Most
- Aaron Sorkin, Judd Apatow Call 'The Interview' Decision An Attack On Free Speech
- 'Serial' Season One Finale Episode is Here - Listen Now & Find Out How it Ends!
- Scott Disick Goes Go Kart Racing After His Third Child's Birth
- James Franco Gets His Mind Off 'The Interview' with Lady Gaga's Help!
- Liam Neeson Brings 'Taken 3' to Berlin with Forest Whitaker for Premiere & Press Conference!