North Carolina Winners Rule 'American Idol'
The Tar Heel State now has the highest number of winners in the history of Fox's singing competition series.
Turns out that basketball stars aren't the only homegrown product from the Tar Heel State.
There must be something in the water in North Carolina, because it now ranks as the state with the highest number of American Idol winners in the show's history
With Asheville native Caleb Johnson's season 13 victory, the home of the Duke Blue Devils now has three champions to its name: season three victor Fantasia Barrino, season 10 winner Scotty McCreery and Johnson, reports KansasCity.com.
McCreery acknowledged Johnson's win with a hometown nod on his Twitter account shortly after the win, writing: "You deserve it, take it all in! Welcome to the family!"
Other Idols from North Carolina include season two runner-up (and Democratic Congressional candidate) Clay Aiken, season five rocker Chris Daughtry, season five country girl (and Dancing with the Stars winner) Kellie Pickler, season five's Bucky Covington, season seven's Anoop Desai and this season's ninth-place finalist Majesty Rose.
Alabama has the second highest number of Idol winners, including season two's Ruben Studdard and season five's Taylor Hicks.
Johnson, who just sang the national anthem at the PBS Memorial Day Concert, will release his debut album Aug. 12. He will appear on the American Idol summer tour, which kicks off next month.
Here is a list Idol winners so far by state:
Arizona - Jordin Sparks (season 6)
Arkansas - Kris Allen (season 8)
Georgia - Phillip Phillips (season 11)
Illinois - Lee DeWyze (season 9)
Missouri - David Cook (season 7)
Oklahoma - Carrie Underwood (season 4)
South Carolina - Candice Glover (season 12)
Texas - Kelly Clarkson (season 1)
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- A 'Bachelor' Casting Call Is Pretty Much Like Being In Vegas, And NOT In A Good Way
- Carrie Underwood Covers Wiz Khalifa's 'See You Again' Like A Boss
- Comedian Kurt Braunohler Is Driving A Giant Butt Across The Country, Because America Needs This
- Sandra Bullock On Media's Treatment Of Women: 'It's Become Open Hunting Season'
- Rick and Morty Season 2 Trailer: It’s Probably Best If Morty Started Driving the Spaceship
- Stephen Colbert Filmed a 40-Minute Public-Access Show in a Random Small Town to Remind You That, Character or Not, He’s the Best
- Paul Rudd Can’t Resist a Good Fart Joke
- What’s a Good Post-Divorce Show? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Adam Driver Premieres His Film 'While We're Young' in Paris
- 'The Dukes of Hazzard' Pulled From TV Land Schedule After Confederate Flag Controversy
- Watch Stephen Colbert Hilariously Interview Eminem on 'Only in Monroe' Public Access Show
- Rachel Bilson Doesn't Mind a 5am Poop Diaper If It Comes with This View!