It's Official: Clay Aiken Running for Congress (Video)
The "American Idol" alum announced his bid for the House of Representatives seat that covers North Carolina's second district.
Former American Idol star Clay Aiken is officially running for Congress. The season two runner-up announced his candidacy in a video posted on Wednesday.
Aiken is running for the House of Representatives seat in North Carolina's second district, looking to unseat second-term Republican Rep. Renee Ellmers.
In the video, Aiken said Ellmers had good intentions when she went to Washington but then voted for legislation that was against the interests of North Carolina military families.
"This is what's wrong with Washington -- that a congresswoman would go there and vote against the best interests of North Carolina military families, and those who depend on the military for their jobs," Aiken said. "To do it when you know it's wrong is even worse. And to do it because your national party told you to, that's what convinced me, in the end, that if I didn't try to do something about it, then I couldn't complain if no one else did. I'm not a politician. I don't ever want to be one. But I do want to help bring back, at least to my corner of Washington, the idea that someone can go to Washington to represent all the people, whether they voted for you or not, and maybe we can play a small part in igniting that change across the rest of our country."
Aiken said he was a Democrat but tried to cast himself as a centrist in the video, referring to his work with the Bush administration.
Aiken also discussed his difficult childhood and noted that was part of why he decided to run for Congress.
"For most Americans, there are no golden tickets -- at least not like the kind you see on TV," he said. "More families are struggling today than at any time in our history, and here in North Carolina, we've suffered more than our share of pain."
Reports of Aiken's intention to run for Congress first surfaced last month but the Idol alum had yet to comment on the rumors until now.
Watch Aiken's full campaign video below.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet
- Evangeline Lilly Gets Candid About Lost, Writing, and Comic-Book Breasts