'American Idol' Winner Phillip Phillips Joins Matchbox 20 Tour
The season 11 winner will open for the band he covered this spring on the Fox singing competition show.
When Phillip Phillips performed Matchbox 20's song, "Disease," on American Idol this spring, he didn't impress the judges, but he sure got the attention of the band.
The season 11 winner will join the Florida group on the road for 21 dates this winter beginning Jan. 29, 2013, according to the Matchbox 20 Facebook page.
"Hey Phillip Phillips - It's been really cool watching all your success this year & we're excited to have you come out on our NORTH America 2013 tour!” read the announcement.
Phillips found an early supporter in Matchbox 20 lead singer Rob Thomas, who appreciated the Leesburg, Ga. singer's interpretation of "Disease."
"I thought he was really good," Thomas tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I appreciate what he did with it. If you're going to be an 'idol,' you need to be more than just a cover artist and I think he made it his own." At the time he was "flattered" to have his band's song chosen.
Phillips' first show with Matchbox 20 will take place at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Catoosa, Okla. on Jan. 29. He will remain on the tour until Feb. 27.
For show dates, go to Matchbox 20's website.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Old Dogs & New Tricks: The Oral History of a 'Gay' Web Series (Part 2)
- Steven Tyler Wails 'Dream On' In Maui Like It's 1973
- HuffPost Live's 'Spoiler Alert' Looks Back At This Season's Earliest TV Cancellations
- Remembering Mike Nichols, His Insight and His Introduction to Jacqueline Kennedy at El Morocco
- Beyonce Shows Off Her Booty in Hilarious Made-at-Home Music Video for '7/11'
- Nina Dobrev Celebrates RH Atlanta's Gallery Opening
- Colin Farrell on Set of 'True Detective' Will Get You Pumped Up for the Second Season
- How To Get Away With Murder's Karla Souza & Katie Findlay Celebrate The Golden Globes