'American Idol' Winner Phillip Phillips Joins Matchbox 20 Tour
The season 11 winner will open for the band he covered this spring on the Fox singing competition show.
When Phillip Phillips performed Matchbox 20's song, "Disease," on American Idol this spring, he didn't impress the judges, but he sure got the attention of the band.
The season 11 winner will join the Florida group on the road for 21 dates this winter beginning Jan. 29, 2013, according to the Matchbox 20 Facebook page.
"Hey Phillip Phillips - It's been really cool watching all your success this year & we're excited to have you come out on our NORTH America 2013 tour!” read the announcement.
Phillips found an early supporter in Matchbox 20 lead singer Rob Thomas, who appreciated the Leesburg, Ga. singer's interpretation of "Disease."
"I thought he was really good," Thomas tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I appreciate what he did with it. If you're going to be an 'idol,' you need to be more than just a cover artist and I think he made it his own." At the time he was "flattered" to have his band's song chosen.
Phillips' first show with Matchbox 20 will take place at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Catoosa, Okla. on Jan. 29. He will remain on the tour until Feb. 27.
For show dates, go to Matchbox 20's website.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Nude Chelsea Handler Gets Confronted By Ellen DeGeneres In Funny 'Chelsea Lately' Finale Skit - Watch Now!
- Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston & Anna Gunn Step Out After Their Big Emmy Wins!
- Lady Gaga Shows Side Boob In New 'I Can't Give You Anything But Love' Music Video - Watch Now!
- Darren Criss Calls Beyonce's VMA Performance 'Flawless'