'American Idol' Winner Phillip Phillips Joins Matchbox 20 Tour
The season 11 winner will open for the band he covered this spring on the Fox singing competition show.
When Phillip Phillips performed Matchbox 20's song, "Disease," on American Idol this spring, he didn't impress the judges, but he sure got the attention of the band.
The season 11 winner will join the Florida group on the road for 21 dates this winter beginning Jan. 29, 2013, according to the Matchbox 20 Facebook page.
"Hey Phillip Phillips - It's been really cool watching all your success this year & we're excited to have you come out on our NORTH America 2013 tour!” read the announcement.
Phillips found an early supporter in Matchbox 20 lead singer Rob Thomas, who appreciated the Leesburg, Ga. singer's interpretation of "Disease."
"I thought he was really good," Thomas tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I appreciate what he did with it. If you're going to be an 'idol,' you need to be more than just a cover artist and I think he made it his own." At the time he was "flattered" to have his band's song chosen.
Phillips' first show with Matchbox 20 will take place at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Catoosa, Okla. on Jan. 29. He will remain on the tour until Feb. 27.
For show dates, go to Matchbox 20's website.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- After Paris, the Show Must Go on. Broadway at White House Kristen Chenoweth, Gloria Estefan, Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber
- Washington Redskins Bring Back Insensitive Thanksgiving Tradition For Another Year
- WATCH: A Thanksgiving Message From Donald Trump To His Racist Supporters
- Carrie Underwood Burns A Pumpkin Pie, Proves She's One Of Us
- Mariah Carey Hits Thanksgiving Day Parade, Sings 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' (Video)
- Prince Harry Gives Touching Tribute to Princess Diana at Children’s Centre Opening
- Jennifer Hudson Discusses Lack of Diversity in the Industry: 'It's Unfortunate'
- Adele Tour Dates 2016 Announced - 'Adele Live 2016'!