'American Idol' Champ Phillip Phillips Undergoes Kidney Surgery
UPDATED: The singer-songwriter will soon embark on season 11's summer tour.
After a painful several weeks, American Idol winner Phillip Phillips has undergone surgery to remove massive kidney stones that sidelined him during his run on the Fox competition.
"Surgery went well, he’s resting and will be ready for the Idol tour kick off in July!," Leslie Fradkin, a representative for Idol producers 19 Entertainment, tells THR. She had no further comment.
The 21-year-old Georgia native, who managed to beat Jessica Sanchez in the May 23 finale despite his illness, had an operation that lasted six and a half hours on Wednesday, according to TMZ.
Philips opted to postpone surgery until Idol's 11th season wrapped up; he secretly went under the knife a whopping eight times while on the show to treat a buildup of kidney stones. Caused by a congenital condition, the stones have rendered his right kidney largely ineffective, prompting him to temporarily rely on a stint and the need for an operation that would bring about a more permanent solution.
As previously reported, Phillips had scheduled the surgery only a month before the latest cast of the Fox series embark on a 45-date U.S. tour. A rep for Phillips said he's still a lock for the July 6 kick-off in Detroit.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Gabrielle Union Says 'The World Isn't Going To End' If We See More Diversity In Women On TV
- Shantel VanSanten Lounges Poolside In A Cutout Swimsuit For Maxim
- Jimmy Kimmel Proves People Can't Tell The Difference Between Cold-Pressed Juice And Tang
- David Oyelowo Comes To Benedict Cumberbatch's Defense Over 'Colored' Comment
- Channing Tatum Carries Mila Kunis Away in New 'Jupiter Ascending' Trailer (Exclusive)
- Brie Larson & Rosemarie DeWitt Are 'Digging For Fire' at Sundance!
- Tye Sheridan & Olivia Thirlby Premiere 'Stanford Prison Experiment' at Sundance 2015
- Patrick J. Adams Opens Up About Fiance Troian Bellisario's Guest-Starring Role on 'Suits' (JJ Interview)