Russell Crowe Responds to Adam Lambert's Criticism of 'Les Miserables' Movie
The actor who plays Javert says director Tom Hooper wanted the vocals "raw and real."
The Les Miserables debate continues on Twitter.
To recap: American Idol alum Adam Lambert took issue with the movie version of the beloved musical, offering his own pointed criticism of the cast's vocal performances via a series of tweets on Dec. 30. Two days later, one of the film's stars, Russell Crowe, who plays Javert, addressed Lambert's views, specifically that the "singing was so distracting at times it pulled me out."
As it turned out, Crowe actually agreed with Lambert's opinion, particularly the thought that, while it was novel and ambitious to have the actors all sing live, they should have accentuated those performances with studio recording that "sweetened the vocals."
“I don’t disagree with Adam," tweeted Crowe. "Sure it could have been sweetened, [director] Tom Hooper wanted it raw and real, that’s how it is."
In Lambert's original tweets, the season eight Idol runner-up stopped short of naming which actors left him cold.
"Les Mis: Visually impressive w great emotional performances. But the score suffered massively with great actors PRETENDING to be singers," Lambert wrote. "It's an opera. Hollywood's movie musicals treat the singing as the last priority."
Lambert wasn't entirely negative, however. He offered praise for several performers, including Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Fantine, Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen as the Thenardiers, Aaron Tveit as Enjolras and Samantha Barks as Eponine.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Kirk Cameron Urges Christians To Celebrate Halloween By Sharing The Gospel
- Toys R Us Pulls 'Breaking Bad' Dolls From Shelves Following Florida Mom's Petition
- Darling 'Dawson's Creek' Spoof Stars Dachshunds Instead Of Humans
- My Dream Duets: Chatting with Barry Manilow, Andre Cymone and Carroll Matthews Exclusives and The Hawthorne Chronicles
- Lily Aldridge Says Happy 26th Birthday to Her Partner in Crime Candice Swanepoel
- Aaron Paul Looks For the Best Pizza in Vancouver Before Shooting '9th Life of Louis Drax'
- Chrissy Teigen & Jamie Chung Eat Free Doughnuts In Celebration of Apple Pay!
- Kiernan Shipka Is Pretty in Pink at Broadcasting & Cable Hall Of Fame Awards 2014