Russell Crowe Responds to Adam Lambert's Criticism of 'Les Miserables' Movie
The actor who plays Javert says director Tom Hooper wanted the vocals "raw and real."
The Les Miserables debate continues on Twitter.
To recap: American Idol alum Adam Lambert took issue with the movie version of the beloved musical, offering his own pointed criticism of the cast's vocal performances via a series of tweets on Dec. 30. Two days later, one of the film's stars, Russell Crowe, who plays Javert, addressed Lambert's views, specifically that the "singing was so distracting at times it pulled me out."
As it turned out, Crowe actually agreed with Lambert's opinion, particularly the thought that, while it was novel and ambitious to have the actors all sing live, they should have accentuated those performances with studio recording that "sweetened the vocals."
“I don’t disagree with Adam," tweeted Crowe. "Sure it could have been sweetened, [director] Tom Hooper wanted it raw and real, that’s how it is."
In Lambert's original tweets, the season eight Idol runner-up stopped short of naming which actors left him cold.
"Les Mis: Visually impressive w great emotional performances. But the score suffered massively with great actors PRETENDING to be singers," Lambert wrote. "It's an opera. Hollywood's movie musicals treat the singing as the last priority."
Lambert wasn't entirely negative, however. He offered praise for several performers, including Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Fantine, Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen as the Thenardiers, Aaron Tveit as Enjolras and Samantha Barks as Eponine.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Partner, Let Me Upgrade You: Hulu Finally Offers a Commercial-Free Option
- Two of Your Favorite TV Actresses Might Be in the New Star Wars
- Samantha Bee’s Full Frontal Teaser Has the Cojones Needed to Take on Those Late-Night Dudes
- Jon Stewart Only Has Great Things to Say About Stephen Colbert and His Late Show Gig
- Kate Upton Walks the Edge of the CN Tower with Boyfriend Justin Verlander
- Freida Pinto, Jenna Dewan & Rosario Dawson Celebrate The A List 15th Anniversary!
- Rihanna's Rumored Love Interest Lewis Hamilton Speaks to Dating Rumors
- Miranda Lambert & Jake Owen Perform at ACM Honors 2015 Following Their Splits