Soul Train Awards: 'American Idol's' Fantasia Barrino, Jordin Sparks and Leah Labelle Take the Stage (Video)
"X Factor" finalist Marcus Canty also performed at Sunday's ceremony.
American Idol season-three competitors Fantasia Barrino and Leah Labelle took the stage at the 2012 Soul Train Awards to pay tribute to iconic R&B singers Aretha Franklin and Teena Marie Sunday night.
Decked in a simple black dress, Barrino delivered a powerful performance of Franklin’s “Don’t Play That Song For Me.” Labelle paid tribute to Marie with a funky take of the late singer’s “Square Biz.” Additional performances included X Factor finalist Marcus Canty, who entertained with Luther Vandross’ “Never Too Much.”
Labelle, who is currently in the studio working on a record with Pharrell and Jermaine Dupri, was the recipient of the “Soul Train Centric Award.”
Additionally, season-six winner Jordin Sparks collected an award for Best Gospel/Inspirational song with “Celebrate,” a duet from the Sparkle soundtrack with the late Whitney Houston.
An encore presentation of the awards will air on BET on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
Watch the peformances below.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Beat Bugs Trailer: Netflix’s New Animated Kids Series Features a Ton of Beatles Covers Your Kids Won’t Know Are Covers
- A Film Producer Is Tweeting Out Terrible Descriptions of Female Characters in Scripts
- What Shows Will Make Me Cry? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- These Deleted Scenes From Mrs. Doubtfire Will Remind You That the Movie Was Actually Deeply Sad
- Kim Kardashian Goes Sheer in New York City Ahead of Fashion Week!
- Courteney Cox, Kate Hudson & Demi Moore Help Jennifer Meyer Celebrate Superga XO Collection!
- Eva Longoria Shakes Her Booty for 'Lip Sync Battle' Performance of 'Low' - Watch Now!
- Suki Waterhouse & Karlie Kloss Launch 'Vogue 100: A Century of Style' Gallery