Soul Train Awards: 'American Idol's' Fantasia Barrino, Jordin Sparks and Leah Labelle Take the Stage (Video)
"X Factor" finalist Marcus Canty also performed at Sunday's ceremony.
American Idol season-three competitors Fantasia Barrino and Leah Labelle took the stage at the 2012 Soul Train Awards to pay tribute to iconic R&B singers Aretha Franklin and Teena Marie Sunday night.
Decked in a simple black dress, Barrino delivered a powerful performance of Franklin’s “Don’t Play That Song For Me.” Labelle paid tribute to Marie with a funky take of the late singer’s “Square Biz.” Additional performances included X Factor finalist Marcus Canty, who entertained with Luther Vandross’ “Never Too Much.”
Labelle, who is currently in the studio working on a record with Pharrell and Jermaine Dupri, was the recipient of the “Soul Train Centric Award.”
Additionally, season-six winner Jordin Sparks collected an award for Best Gospel/Inspirational song with “Celebrate,” a duet from the Sparkle soundtrack with the late Whitney Houston.
An encore presentation of the awards will air on BET on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
Watch the peformances below.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'Big Brother' Winner Dick Donato Reveals He's HIV Positive
- These Awkward Ballerinas Take Dancing To Your Own Beat To A Whole New Level
- Martin Starr: It's 'Difficult To Imagine' 'Silicon Valley' Without Christopher Evan Welch
- Ben McKenzie Wasn't Invited To Adam Brody's Wedding, But The Ryan & Seth Bond Is Real
- Jennifer Lopez Watches Sean 'Diddy' Combs Rave About Her 'Booty' & Compare It to Kim Kardashian's - Watch Now!
- Gerard Butler & His Mystery Brunette Girlfriend Take a Flight Together
- Matt Bomer Goes Shirtless, Channing Tatum & Joe Manganiello Show Off Huge Muscles on 'Magic Mike XXL' Set!
- Meghan Trainor's 'All About That Bass' is Number 1 on Billboard's All Female Top 5!