Stefano Langone: 'James Durbin Is A Little Cry Baby'
1:47 PM PDT 4/22/2011 by Jillian Mapes, Billboard
The 'Idol' cast-off jokes about his elimination night, but is dead serious about a career in music, looking to John Legend and Justin Timberlake for inspiration.
Stefano Langone may have been eliminated on last night's (Apr. 21) American Idol, but 22-year-old Seattle crooner assures fans that he's just getting started -- and that he barely showed off his talents on the show."It's hard to really show your chops on the show," Langone said Friday (Apr. 22) in a conference call, adding that bass-playing contestant Casey Abrams is the exception to that rule during Idol season 10. Langone continues: "I had never wanted to be the 'American Idol.' I wanted a foot in the door," adding that his track record on Idol "doesn't really reflect who [he is] as a performer." What we can expect next from Langone sounds as if it will be worlds away from his dance-filled take on Ne-Yo's "Closer" from Wednesday (Apr. 20) night -- the performance that inspired his elimination. "One thing I wanted to save and keep close to myself was my piano playing," Langone said. "That's something I want to bring out and show the world now." As both a performer and an original songwriter, Langone views himself as having "wide open market" and that the industry timing is right. He's starting to set up collaborations with rappers, and looks to John Legend, Stevie Wonder and Justin Timberlake as inspiration. Referencing a Bruno Mars-esque take on pop music and a high vocal style, Langone said, "No one's really doing that sort of thing right now. I'm ready to pounce on it." Langone remains relentlessly positive about his future, but his close relationships with his Idol comrades -- from James Durbin (who lovingly mauled Langone during his Idol exit last night) to Pia Toscano ("I almost wanted it [the Idol title] for her more than me," says Langone) -- will continue to grow this summer as the Top 11 hit the road for the Idol tour. Langone reveals that he will be the best man at James Durbin's forthcoming wedding. "James is a little cry baby," Langone joked, adding that during his elimination last night, Durbin "was a wreck."
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Sophia Bush Sends Congrats to Pal Aaron Paul For Emmy Win!
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'