Super Bowl 2013: Jennifer Hudson Sings 'America the Beautiful' With Sandy Hook Students (Video)
The performance came less than two months after the tragic Dec. 14 shooting at the elementary school that left 26 people dead.
Jennifer Hudson teamed up with the Sandy Hook Elementary School Chorus to perform "America the Beautiful" just minutes before the kickoff of Super Bowl XLVII.
The performance came less than two months after the tragic Dec. 14 shooting at Sandy Hook in Newtown, Conn., that left 26 people dead, including 20 children.
The Oscar winner and former American Idol contestant, who next appears in NBC's Smash, showed off her figure in a black-leather bodysuit by Monika Chiang and a white pencil skirt by L’Wren Scott as she performed the song at New Orleans' Superdome.
Hudson received praise for the performance on Twitter:
"Jennifer Hudson was looking like she meant it. Seriously," wrote Aisha Tyler, while Kelly Osbourne tweeted: "Jennifer Hudson was fantastic! She brought it!"
For her part, Hudson tweeted beforehand that it was a "privilege" to perform with the students.
After Hudson's performance, Alicia Keys took center stage to perform the National Anthem accompanied by her piano.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
- The Fight Over Prince’s Estate Continues to Be a Purple-Tinged Nightmare
- Bob Dylan Is Releasing a 36-Disc Set of 1966 Live Albums to Go Immediately on Your Christmas List
- Patton Oswalt Discusses Losing His Wife Michelle McNamara: ‘My ’80s Sitcom Sucks. There’s No Punch Lines.’
- Rob Kardashian Leaks Kylie Jenner's Phone Number: More Details Revealed
- Emily Blunt & John Krasinski Head to Dinner at Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Apartment
- Who Won Presidential Debate 2016? Experts Weigh In on Hillary Clinton vs Donald Trump
- Pregnant Katherine Heigl Checks Out Husband Josh Kelley's Concert