Taylor Hicks on Singing 'Friday' With Jimmy Fallon and Stephen Colbert: 'Every Moment Was Absurd'
The 'American Idol' season 5 winner tells THR's Idol Worship how the "genius" collaboration came to be.
Earlier this week, Jimmy Fallon issued a challenge. If viewers donated $26,000 to a worthy charity by Friday, his "Best Friend for Six Months" Stephen Colbert would appear on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon and perform Rebecca Black's seminal hit, "Friday."
Sure enough, the public didn't disappoint, and Colbert stayed true to his word, performing the song with Fallon, Taylor Hicks, the Knicks City Dancers and The Roots. So what did the American Idol season 5 winner have to say about the kooky collaboration?
"The whole thing was genius in my opinion," Hicks tells THR of the bit, which featured Colbert singing a country-esque version of the party song. "Every moment was absurd: Fallon and Colbert in autotune, the hyper-glow Soul Patrol sweatshirt..."
Hicks was working on new music in Nashville when the call came from Fallon's people. By the next day, he was in New York City and ready for his cue. "It all happened so fast," he says. "In 24 hours, I went from writing a record to doing 'Friday' with Colbert and Fallon, a beekeeper and a Yeti."
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Lindsay Lohan Dazzles Us With Her Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Nicole Scherzinger Leaves Ibiza After Displaying Her Fabulous Figure in a Teeny Bikini
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Shine Bright at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014