Taylor Hicks on Singing 'Friday' With Jimmy Fallon and Stephen Colbert: 'Every Moment Was Absurd'
The 'American Idol' season 5 winner tells THR's Idol Worship how the "genius" collaboration came to be.
Earlier this week, Jimmy Fallon issued a challenge. If viewers donated $26,000 to a worthy charity by Friday, his "Best Friend for Six Months" Stephen Colbert would appear on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon and perform Rebecca Black's seminal hit, "Friday."
Sure enough, the public didn't disappoint, and Colbert stayed true to his word, performing the song with Fallon, Taylor Hicks, the Knicks City Dancers and The Roots. So what did the American Idol season 5 winner have to say about the kooky collaboration?
"The whole thing was genius in my opinion," Hicks tells THR of the bit, which featured Colbert singing a country-esque version of the party song. "Every moment was absurd: Fallon and Colbert in autotune, the hyper-glow Soul Patrol sweatshirt..."
Hicks was working on new music in Nashville when the call came from Fallon's people. By the next day, he was in New York City and ready for his cue. "It all happened so fast," he says. "In 24 hours, I went from writing a record to doing 'Friday' with Colbert and Fallon, a beekeeper and a Yeti."
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Bill Maher And Bernie Sanders Take Down 'Chicken' Donald Trump
- LeBron James Jr. Is Headed To A Sixth Straight NBA Finals
- America's Sweetheart Susan Lucci Opens Up About Love, Fans and the Little Boy Who Won Her Heart
- Harry Connick, Jr. Tells Grads: It's Exciting If You Don't Have Your Career Planned
- Glee’s Mark Salling Indicted on Two Counts in Child Pornography Case
- How Old Is Everyone Supposed to Be in X-Men: Apocalypse?
- Penelope Cruz And Jimmy Fallon Dubsmash On The Tonight Show And You Know, Look, Live Television Is Not Easy
- Emilia Clarke, What Are You Doing? Don’t Watch Game of Thrones With Your Parents