'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Releases Joint EP With 'Idol' Alum Paul McDonald
The married pair's alt-country release, dubbed "The Best Part," arrives via their indie label Enzo and Ira Records.
Twilight's Nikki Reed has released a five-song EP, The Best Part, with her husband, American Idol alum Paul McDonald.
The pair, married since October 2011, issued the joint effort through their indie label, Enzo and Ira Records. The alt-country tracks -- co-written by Reed and McDonald -- include "Now That I've Found You," which was re-recorded after Reed directed its music video earlier this year. The two collaborated on that song with bassist Dave Roe, guitarist and mandolin player Colin Linden and drummer Ken Coomer, who also produced the EP.
McDonald, an Idol season-10 finalist, is frontman for the Hightide Blues and The Grand Magnolias, which put out a self-titled album last year. The Bradley Cooper lookalike met Reed at the LA premiere of Red Riding Hood in March '11, and they became engaged several weeks later.
"Everything on this record feels very organic," McDonald says. "It's very stripped down, and our approach was straightforward. We wanted everything to be simple and raw, nothing that we couldn't recreate live with a band. When you listen to the songs you feel like you're in the room."
Continues the smitten singer: "When we were making this record we were so in the moment, and it feels unlike anything I've ever done before. It's amazing working with Nikki because she brings out a different side of me musically. Writing with her feels so natural, and so effortless."
Reed has portrayed vamp Rosalie Hale since the Twilight film franchise began; the final installment, Breaking Dawn -- Part 2, arrives Nov. 16.
The couple's song, "All I've Ever Needed," appears in the film and on its soundtrack.
"What makes this album special is the fact that Paul and I wrote every song on here together," Reed says. "I've always loved music and felt connected to it, but was too afraid to explore that avenue. It was Paul's encouragement and talent that made me feel safe enough to try."
Check out the Reed-directed video for "Now That I've Found You."
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'Between Two Ferns' Will 'Never Do One With Trump, Just On Principle'
- 'Hairspray Live!’ Director Hopes The Musical Will Bring Peace And Love
- Trump Once Pitched A Show Called 'Donald Trump Presents The Most Beautiful Women In The World'
- Google and Amazon Leverage Copyright Loophole to Use Songs Without Paying Songwriters
- Leslie Jones Flirts with Tom Hanks in This Week's Saturday Night Live Promo
- Theater Review: The Big Chill That Is Love, Love, Love
- Selma Blair Explains the Incident in Which she was Removed From an Airplane on a Stretcher
- Shailene Woodley Pleads Not Guilty to Misdemeanor Rioting Following Protest Arrest