'American Idol' Season 13: Dexter and C.J. Get Bromantic on Darius Rucker Cover (Video)
The longtime pals and season's finalists came full circle with Wednesday's duet.
It may have been a no-brainer to pair American Idol finalists Dexter Roberts and C.J. Harris for a duet on Wednesday, but producers didn’t nail it on their initial song selection.
"They gave us 'Hey Brother,'" Roberts told The Hollywood Reporter, referring to Avicii's bluegrass-tinged dance hit. "It was like, we can change it up and make it good, but is there a [better] song that me and C.J. can sing?"
The longtime pals, who first met nearly half a decade ago on a school trip to Panama City, suggested Darius Rucker's "Alright" as an option after singing it together years before heading to Hollywood. "That’s your song," Roberts recalled producers saying.
"It was a special moment for me," Harris told THR. "We've grown so much as musicians, from playing it wrong back home to actually playing the song right now. We'd go and play it everywhere, and we'd be playing the wrong chords.
"Tonight, we got the chorus and the harmony right," Harris continued. "We had a really good time connecting as friends."
After joking that working with his roommate "sucked," Roberts got serious, comparing Harris to "one of my brothers."
Hey, maybe the Avicii hit wouldn't have been a bad choice after all.
Watch the performance below:
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Jared Padalecki’s Dean to Return for Gilmore Girls Revival; Christopher and Doyle Are Back, Too!
- A Fascinating, Heartbreaking Sequence in Touched With Fire, the New Katie Holmes Movie About Bipolar Disorder
- Batman v Superman Final Trailer: Let’s Get to the Good Stuff, Shall We?
- Pretty Little Liars’ Janel Parrish on the Mona vs. Spencer Rivalry
- Kristen Stewart & Nicholas Hoult Get Steamy in the Shower in First Offical 'Equals' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Ciara & Allison Williams Celebarte Keds' Centennial Year!
- Ryan Reynolds Reveals He Played 'Let's Get It On' While Blake Lively Was in Labor!
- Tobey Maguire & Wife Jennifer Meyer Bring Kids Ruby & Otis to Saint Laurent Show at the Palladium