'American Idol' Final 3: Why Kree Harrison Should Win
"This is a woman who knows her sound," writes THR's music editor of her pick for season 12 victor. "Let Kreedom ring!"
We never got to see Kree Harrison’s audition for season 12 of American Idol, but it didn’t take much convincing for viewers at home to recognize that she had the goods to make it all the way to the finish line.
Originally from Woodville, Texas, but more recently rooted in Nashville, the 22-year-old has confidence and talent in the bag, evident from the first time she appeared on screen during the Hollywood Week rounds. That’s when, singing the Dixie Chicks’ “Sin Wagon” in a group performance, we initially heard her bluesy vocal tone, balancing just the right amount of husk with the ability to belt out the higher ranges effortlessly.
Her song choices point to a woman who knows her sound, be it a cover of Patti Griffin’s “Up to the Mountain” (handled equally well by season nine’s Crystal Bowersox), Grace Potter’s “Stars” or The Black Crowes’ “She Talks to Angels,” while her musicality goes much deeper, to Roy Orbison, Lena Horne and beyond.
Kree Harrison’s background also proves her resilience and strong heart. And surprisingly, her parents’ tragic deaths have not been given the usual sob story treatment. Maybe Idol producers are especially sensitive to true heartbreak that goes beyond, “I’m short” or “I have a stutter.” More likely it’s that she doesn’t need to play the sympathy card. Her talent speaks for itself.
But perhaps the most compelling reason why Kree Harrison should win Idol: she’s the one girl of the top 5 finalists who you’d want to hang out with. Simply put: Kree is cool. It’s no wonder she’s friends with buzzing country newcomer Kacey Musgraves, and even former Idol finalist and current Dancing with the Stars contestant Kellie Pickler is part of her extended network. Who wouldn’t want to pal around Music City with these gals?
Coming into the top three, Kree Harrison is the underdog. She’s been in the bottom two once and it seems as if she hasn’t had the same attention foisted on her throughout the competition and now onto the hometowns. But as judge Nicki Minaj might say, let Kreedom ring -- and sing.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Beat Bugs Trailer: Netflix’s New Animated Kids Series Features a Ton of Beatles Covers Your Kids Won’t Know Are Covers
- A Film Producer Is Tweeting Out Terrible Descriptions of Female Characters in Scripts
- What Shows Will Make Me Cry? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- These Deleted Scenes From Mrs. Doubtfire Will Remind You That the Movie Was Actually Deeply Sad
- Kim Kardashian Goes Sheer in New York City Ahead of Fashion Week!
- Courteney Cox, Kate Hudson & Demi Moore Help Jennifer Meyer Celebrate Superga XO Collection!
- Eva Longoria Shakes Her Booty for 'Lip Sync Battle' Performance of 'Low' - Watch Now!
- Suki Waterhouse & Karlie Kloss Launch 'Vogue 100: A Century of Style' Gallery