Ruben Studdard: Mariah Carey Should Be the Next 'X Factor' Judge
"American Idol" season two victor opens up on "The Wendy Williams Show" about his divorce, fellow "Idol" Clay Aiken and his new album.
Ruben Studdard stopped by The Wendy Williams Show Tuesday morning to promote his fifth album, Letters From Birmingham, and chat it up with the television host about such hot topics as who should judge X-Factor, the truth behind his divorce, his tax problems and Clay Aiken’s chances on NBC’s The Apprentice.
After Williams questioned Studdard about X Factor’s contract negotiations saga with Britney Spears, Studdard said his judge of choice would be: Mariah Carey.
“She wouldn’t pull any punches,” said Studdard, who also name checked former Pop Stars judge David Foster as another choice.
He was congenial about his divorce from his wife of three years, Surata Zuri McCants, rejecting Williams’ theory that McCants expected the high life when she married the Velvet Teddy Bear.
Studdard said the couple was just “two people going in two different directions,” explaining that he wanted a big family and she already had a daughter.
He also said that although Studdard and Aiken are perceived as quiet guys, he’s not surprised that Aiken’s sense of humor is shining on The Apprentice, and added that Aiken is an entertaining and funny person, which he learned from living with the singer in the same house during American Idol’s second season, and on tour.
He even said that a production hand on the American Idol tour said that a camera should have been backstage just so people can see how “stupid” Aiken and Studdard really are.
Other revelations: Studdard has regained most of the weight he lost due to stress eating and “kicking it” following his divorce (sweets is his downfall, especially red velvet cake); the title of his single, “June 28,” is the date he got married; he is very single, and is working with his tax attorney to repay the $100,000 in taxes he owes to the IRS.
“I won’t be the first person on television with that problem and I won’t be the last,” he said.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- North West Isn't The Only Celebrity Kid To Bring The Cuteness To Halloween
- All The Creepy Laughs From 'The Twilight Zone' Because Evil Is Sometimes Hilarious
- 11 Times Mr. Bean Taught You To Embrace Your Inner Child By Acting Like One
- Miley Cyrus' Risque Dress Stood Out, But Her $500,000 Donation To Fight AIDS Stole The Show
- Daniel Radcliffe Wants to Work with Jennifer Lawrence & George Clooney
- Kate Bosworth & Michael Polish Fly Back to Los Angeles on His 44th Birthday
- Coco Rocha Shares Her Thoughts on Kendall Jenner Fashion Week Bullying Rumors
- Keira Knightley Shows Her Feminist Side By Discussing Gender Equality in 'Net-A-Porter's 'Edit' Mag